Chapter One

~Steve's POV~

"Now you find me!" A girls voice broke into my thoughts as I slowed to a walk, resting beneath the same tree I always did after my morning runs. The girl in question had a mane of curling black hair, tumbling down her back as she clumsily danced around a woman.

I watched them for a moment, a small smile stuck on my face as they played a game of hide and seek. The woman, who I assumed was the girls mother by their matching hair and happy grins, made sure to never let the young girl out of her sight, though the small child was oblivious.

A foot crinkling over twigs and the odd leaf caused me to look up, and watch Sam as he slid down the tree next to me. "Hey man."

"Hey." I rested my eyes and leant my head back against the rough bark. "You're late."

"Never late Cap. You're just early."

"Can't call me Cap anymore." I turned my head to look at him, though he was looking down at his phone. "You'll be the new Captain soon."

"You'll always be the Captain." Sam said softly, giving me a reassuring smile before looking up to watch the people pass by.

My thoughts drifted to what I planned to do that day. I was in the process of training Sam up to be the new Captain, but I wasn't sure what I would do without the title. Try and be normal, but in a world like the one I woke up in, normal wouldn't come easily.

"Excuse me, Mister." I looked up to see the same small girl from before. She was stood by my shoulder, a slightly hesitant look hidden by the brave smile she wore.

"Hello." I turned to face her, softening my smile as Sam looked up, his look of slight confusion mirroring mine.

She pointed down to her feet. "My shoelace is untied."

I looked down. The bright yellow shoe had pastel blue laces, which were tied neatly into a bow on her left foot. But the laces threaded through the other shoe were undone, and trailed along the floor.

"Well that's not good," I brightened my smile, "shall I tie it for you?" She nodded quickly, hands clasped in front of her as she patiently stood still in front of me. As I fastened the lace into a matching bow, I scanned the edge of the trees and path for the woman she had been playing with a few minutes ago.

"Are you Mister America?" She asked innocently. Sam snorted into his bottle of water, but when she directed her face to him, her smile grew ever larger. "You are the new Mister America!" She pointed at him. "You look a bit like my Daddy."

Sam beamed at her. "Must be a handsome man." He grinned.

"He's not here anymore. He's up there." She pointed at the sky with a smile, then looked back down to meet my eyes. "Are you coming to my school next week?"

Though the sudden subject change could be expected, her innocent lack of social cues left me stumbling a bit as I replied. She wasn't changing the topic as she felt uncomfortable, but because she was genuinely wanting an answer to her question.

"Miss Taylor said all the superheroes were coming. But I don't think that's true." She added before I could reply. "What if a bad guy turns up? No one can fight them if they're all at school." She rambled, unaware that me and Sam were struggling to catch up with her train of thought.

"Angie!" The lady from before ran over, looking a little flustered as she caught sight of the little girl stood talking to two grown men. "What did I say about wandering off?"

"We were playing hide and seek." Angie frowned, then grinned. "I won!"

The lady rolled her eyes as I stood to my feet, offering her a sympathetic smile. "She had an untied lace and asked for us to tie it again. Really, she wasn't a bother."