seven.

M a k a y l a

"Red," Calum said, looking at me with this look in his eyes.

"What?" Red? What does that even mean?

"Ashton. His favorite color is red. Wear this." Calum said, handing me his favorite outfit of mine. "And wear this necklace. He'll hug you right away, He's such a sap."

He walked over to my vanity and picked out the necklace from its place from one of the posts. When Ash left for college, he gave all of us matching pendants. I got the necklace, Calum got a keychain, and Ash kept a bracelet. They all had eclipsed moon symbols, with our first initials, and inside the locket was a picture of us all at Ashton's graduation. On the other side was "To The Moon" as a joke, copying Mike's tattoo.

"Thanks, Calum."I hugged him, still unsure what that look was.

Something was wrong, but I knew if it was serious, he wouldn't be able to not tell me. For now, I was just nervous about Ashton coming in. I've had a crush on Ashton for quite a while. I realized it on Calum's birthday.

-

As soon as Ashton turned 17, he was so excited to be able to drive around. He helped his grandfather fix up his old pickup truck, with the promise he could have it. He wanted so badly for the truck to work, so he could meet up with Calum more. Of course, it was more common for the boys to hang out because obviously, Calum's his best friend. And, sometimes, I was left out, but it was fine because mostly they did "boy things".

Until Calum's 17th birthday.

I planned a surprise party at his house. Even though he was "popular", he was very private when it came to things with his family or friends. I organized a small get-together, just his parents, Mali and her boyfriend and Luke's brother, Jack, and just our close circle of friends. Calum had a Saturday football practice and was supposed to be back by 6.

Supposed to be.

Also, I didn't tell Ashton because he can't keep a secret for shit, so Michael and Crystal were supposed to pick him up at his house. It was 7:30 by the time Mike and Crys came back, and Mike said Ashton wasn't at his house. I immediately freak out and call Calum.

"Hey, Kayla." He answered, happily, and I could hear his smile.

"Hey, uh, where are you?"

"Oh! Ash picked me up from practice. We're at Nando's right now, probably going to the beach after. Why?

"Um, no reason!" I said, quickly. "Just, um, your mom asked me."

"Oh. Just tell her I'll be home by 10, ok?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'll tell her."

Needless to say, I was pissed. And it was weird to feel that toward Calum. I am never angry at Calum. No matter what, I always believed he knew and did what was best for me.

"What'd he say?" Mali asked, holding the same confused expression as everyone else.

"He um... He's not coming."

"What?" Luke asked, taking a step towards me.

"I don't...I can't-" I could feel my pulse racing as I turned toward Calum's mom. "I'm sorry, Joy, I have to go," I said, feeling like I couldn't breathe.

"Don't worry about it, sweetie. We'll clean this up."

At that, I was out the door.

-

Two hours later, I found myself on Ashton's doorstep. He answered almost three minutes after I knocked, his hair a fluffball on his head, with sweatpants and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

"What the hell, Ash?" I had calmed a little on the walk, but not that much.

"Excuse me?" His eyebrows furrowed, and he slowly stepped outside with me.

"Do you know how long I busted my ass for this party?" I demanded, my face burning with frustration.

"No?" He said, more like a question. "Makayla, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about."

"Well... I did! For two months!"

"Ok? And how was I supposed to know that?"

"I don't know! But if you were gonna take Calum out for his birthday, you could've at the very least INVITED ME!"

"Look, I'm sorry!" He chuckled. He fucking chuckled. " Is it that big of a deal?"

Ugh, he's so infuriating! He's sitting there laughing while I was just humiliated in front of Calum's entire family!

"Yes, it is! He's my best friend, too!"

"I know!"

"But it's different! I need him! He's only my friend out of convenience!"

"That's not even true!"

"How do you know, Ashton?!"

"Because you're amazing!"

"Thank you! You're an extraordinary friend! Calum's lucky to have you!"

"So we agree?!"

"I guess so!"

"Then why are we yELLING?!!!!"

"I DON'T KNOW!!!"

We just stood there for a few minutes in silence, not knowing to say.

"Listen, it looks like we're both on the same page. We both love Calum." He swallowed and looked to the ground. "And Calum loves both of us. I swear he does."

I looked up at him, years of fear hitting me all of a sudden. "I can't lose him. I can't do- I can't be anything if he's not with me."

"That's not true."

"Ash-"

"But I know you think that. And I would never try to take him away from you. I promise."

I nodded, as Ashton stepped forward to wrap me up into himself, while we both just cried together. And then I realized why I was so mad.

Because I never wanted to leave his arms.