twenty-nine

L u k e 

"Hey, little brother," Jack's smile took over his entire face, as he rushed over to me, and I couldn't help but melt into his hug. I smiled as I was taken back to 2nd grade, crying on the curb over my scraped knee. 

He had wiped away my tears and told me it was going to be okay because ice cream was the best medicine. He had carried me home, bandaged me up, and we got ice cream out of the freezer and pretty much every sweet, crunchy, or sour item we had in the kitchen, and we ate ice cream until we were sick, but it was worth it. He told me stupid jokes as we listened to All Time Low and Blink 182. 

I got so swept up in the memory, I didn't realize I was clinging to Jack as if my life depended on it. 

"Hey, buddy, it's ok. I'm here, it's gonna be alright," He coaxed me until I relaxed enough to let him out of my arms. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, reaching out to touch him as if to prove to myself he was real. "You're supposed to be in London!" 

"Well, we decided we should both come home. We wanted to say this with everyone here. We were gonna get Mom, Dad, Ben, David, and Joy, and you and Calum, but... Obviously not gonna happen. We wanted to share some news with you guys...We're engaged if that even means anything anymore." Jack said, somewhat nonchalantly. 

"WHAT?!" I whispered yelled, incredibly shocked and excited at the news.

"Shhhh!" The others shushed me, not wanting to attract the attention of the walkers in the distance.

"Sorry, guys. You guys are engaged? When? How? I need some details, me being your best man, of course."

"Later, bro. First, we have to get outta here." Jack said, looking at the walkers in the distance. I felt a hand clap over my shoulder, and I jumped nearly a foot in the air. I whipped around and was relieved to see Michael with an expression equally as startled as mine.

"Jesus, Mike, don't scare me like that."

"Sorry," Mike breathed out.

"We got worried," Crystal stated. "You guys took a long time."

"Then I remembered that tracker thing Mama Joy installed in Cal's phone, and- Is that Jack?"

"Yeah," I smiled, despite the situation. "He and Mali got engaged, apparently."

"Woah, that's trippy," Mikey mumbled.

I nodded in agreement, and couldn't fight this burning feeling in my chest. Something was wrong. 

Oh shit.

"Wait... Where's Sierra?"

No one seemed to hear me except Angelle, who looked at me, with a look I could only describe as pure fear.

Every which way I looked, she was nowhere to be seen.  This cannot be happening. 

Just then, panic started to seep its way in. As if to cement my feelings, a startling, ear-piercing scream rang through the air. As much as I wanted to deny it, I knew exactly who it was.

Sierra.

I ran through the airport, pushing off everyone trying to hold me back. 

I have to get to her.

"What's happening?" I vaguely heard Ashton ask, but all I could hear was the blood pounding in my ears, Sierra's screams, and footsteps running behind me. I barely looked behind me to see Angelle just behind me, and then saw the rest of the group realizing what was wrong, and take off after us.