nine.

A n g e l l e

As soon as I entered the party with Luke and Sierra, she immediately pushed me over to Calum, who was standing next to the stairs talking Ashton.

I rolled my eyes, wondering once again why I agreed to this. I mentally prepared myself and plastered a smile on my face.

"Hi, Calum!" I said over-enthusiastically, and he rose his eyebrows, giving back his signature smirk.

Ash looked between us awkwardly and finally got the hint.

"Um, I'm gonna go hang with Makayla, ok man? I'll uh talk to you later?"

"Yeah, Ash. I'll text you tomorrow."

Ashton smiled awkwardly and walked away, leaving just Calum and me.

"So..." I trailed off, not sure how to start this conversation.

"So Luke wants us to fuck."

Or he could just do that.

I blinked up at him, not entirely sure how to respond to that.

"What? I didn't say I would let you. I'm not a complete whore."

I couldn't help but laugh. I honestly thought Calum would be a stuck-up fuck boy, but I was starting to warm up to him. But I still didn't want to sleep with him.

"Well, don't worry. I don't wanna sleep with you."

"Really?"

"Are you surprised?" I raised my eyebrows at him, already questioning the whole friendship thing.

"Well, everyone wants to sleep with me."

"Well, not me," I said awkwardly, my defenses already up.

"Why? Am I not, like, appealing to you?"

"No, it's not like that. I mean, obviously, you're hot, but-"

"But what? I'm hot, you're hot... And we can't be hot together because?"

"No reason. I just..." I stopped my sentence altogether, not that that sentence was going in an intelligent direction.

My eye was drawn to Luke and Sierra, making out as if they weren't in the middle of Calum's kitchen.

"Just what?" Calum broke my gaze away from my best friend and the boy I was in love with.

"Um... Nothing. Just drop it, ok?"

I think Calum had to have caught on because he looked behind him, where my gaze was just a few minutes ago.

"You sure it nothing? Maybe it's because I don't have blue eyes? Because I don't have blonde hair?" I couldn't stand looking him in the eye while he called me out on such a despicable situation. "Maybe it's because I didn't get your hair unstuck from your locker on the first day of sophomore year? Maybe it's because I'm not the one you're in love with? Maybe it's because I didn't ditch you for Sierra? Are you sure it's nothing, Angelle? Are you sure it not because I'm not your best friend's boyfriend?"

He almost looked...hurt.

But no, that's impossible.

He's Calum Hood.

I finally looked up to meet his brown eyes, staring back into mine, cold and unforgiving.

"You're a dick." I took my remaining half-cup of beer and dumped it on his head, before walking out.

A/N I was gonna update yesterday but my brain was like

Mmmm no, you're gonna John Mulaney and then I'm gonna shut down.