twenty-two

A n g e l l e 

"You two," Crystal said, after kicking out Calum and Ash, pointing to me and Luke, "come here." 

We looked at each other, awkwardly, and followed Crys's finger beckoning us over." We need to keep her calm, and I had to kick her best friend out because he was being a dick, you're the next best thing." She finalized, gesturing to me. 

"What about me?" He asked, tilting his head, like a fucking puppy. Why must he?

"First, get a washcloth from the bathroom."

"On it." He raced to the bathroom, and I knelt by the arm of the couch. I grabbed a scrunchie from her jacket pocket, tying her hair up, and continued doing what Calum was doing, and also doing what I do best, tell bad jokes to distract her. 

"Here." Luke ran back in, handing Crys the cloth. "Anything else you need?"

"Yeah. Sit beside Angelle." 

Luke looked at her weirdly but did as he was told. Crystal walked over, putting Kayla's hand in Luke's. "If it hurts, squeeze his hand, ok?"

"Wait-"

"Shut up, Luke. Suck it up." Crystal rolled her eyes, turning to Makayla, and bringing the cloth closer to her face. "It's gonna really hurt because I can't put you to sleep, so bite down on this, ok?" Makayla nodded and did as Crys said. 

"This is just to make sure there are no open wounds that could get infected." Crystal said as she cleaned the area with alcohol and a cotton pad. "Ok, this is just a bit of anesthesia, so it's not as bad," she said, calmly, as she injected her ankle with a syringe.

Makayla hissed in pain, and I stroked her hair, trying to calm her down. 

"I know, I know, it's okay." She pulled the needle out and changed into a new pair of gloves, finally able to grab Makayla's ankle. "Ok, I'm gonna count to three, then reset, ok?"

Kayla nodded, and Crystal did just that. It happened so fast, I didn't even know what was happening, until it was over. A blood-curling scream, a yelp of pain from Luke, and a healing bone later, Calum and Ashton were practically breaking the door down. Mike, rolling his eyes, let them tumbling in. Crystal calmly put a basic black ankle brace on her and tied an ice pack to it with a rubber band. 

"Are you okay?" Calum asked, instantly. Makayla smiled and reached out for him. He quickly grabbed onto her hand.

"I'm okay, Cal." 

"Kayla, I'm gonna give you pain medication, not quite as strong as the one Calum gave you, and a sleep inducer, so you can sleep most of it off until tomorrow, ok?" Makayla nodded and took what Crystal gave her, receiving hugs from us, and forehead kisses from Ash and Cal.

I could feel the tension. 

Once back in the kitchen, she got a couple more things out from her bag, setting Luke down at one of the island chairs, checking out his head. She cleaned the cut, and bandaged it a little, giving him an ice pack of his own, and some Tylenol.

"Is he ok?" Sierra asked, biting her nails. Luke chuckled, rolling his eyes. 

"Si, I'm-"

"He's fine. I think there was a sharp patch on the plastic, and that's where the cut came from, it's a little bruised, but nothing major. Definitely no concussion." 

Sierra let out a visible breath, and stepped forward, pulling him into a hug, and kissing him gently when she pulled off. Luke glanced over at me, guiltily after she kissed him. 

"So, how'd this happen?" Mike asked, a smirk on his face. 

"Um..." Sierra scratched the back of her neck, nervously. 

"Oh, ya know." I shrugged, hip-bumping with my best friend. "Just your run-of-the-mill, hit your boyfriend with a tennis racket because you thought he and your best friend were zombies. Nothing too bad."

"Angelle!!"

"You did what?!" Calum laughed, and Sierra blushed. 

"Why would you say that?" 

"Was I lying?" I laughed, as she hit me with a placemat. 

"I hate you. Worst friend ever." She pouted. 

I knew she was kidding, but as I looked over at Luke, I couldn't help wondering if she would still be joking if she knew what I'd done. 

A/N Get rekt.