twenty-five.

M a k a y l a

The sunlight streaming in through the window beside me nearly blinded me. 

What a normal,mundane way to wake up when nothing is normal or mundane.

The hellish pain that shot through my ankle constantly yesterday was now a dull throb. I was alone, but I heard voices in the hallway, the after effects of the meds making them almost unrecognizable. It sounded like two guys arguing with a girl. 

Maybe Cal, Ash, and Crystal?

"C-Cal." I managed to croak out, my throat incredibly dry.

"Kayla?" I heard my name, muffled because of the closed door.

The door opened, revealing exactly who I thought it would be, their faces covered in relief.

"Hi."

"Hey." Both Cal and Ash said at the same time.

I sat up on my elbows and looked at them.

"So are you two weirdos gonna sit there and look at me like I'm an injured puppy or are you going to come and be, I don't know, normal?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah." Ashton said, gesturing Cal and Crystal into the room.

"Hey, Makayla. How you doin'?" Crystal asked, admiring her handiwork on the makeshift brace.

"Fine, I guess. It's not as bad as it was. Still a little loopy...Anyways, what were you guys talking about in the hallway? It sounded like it was getting heated."

"Nothing, nothing at all." Ashton said quickly. Calum's face,however, seemed to say something different. I eyed the both of them suspiciously. Something is amiss.

Crystal cleared her throat awkwardly. "I think you're fine for now. I'll check back in later. Let me know if you need anything before hand. Don't forget, don't leave bed without assistance." And with that, she left, shutting the door behind her.

"Alright, dorks. Come sit." I said, patting the space next to me on the bed.

"I'd prefer to stand-" Ash started.

"And I'd prefer if my two best friends came and told me the truth."

Ash sighed. "Kayla-"

"Ash, she's right." Calum chimed in.

"I know. Makayla, there's something I need to tell you...a secret that I hadn't even told Cal until last night... I understand if you're confused, or if you see me differently, or if you just want to ditch me and not-"

"She won't." Calum interrupted him, grabbing for his hand.

"I won't." I wasted no time in agreeing with him. Ashton and Cal were my best friends. Whatever was going on with him, I loved him.

As a friend, of course.

"I, um..." He looked on the verge of tears, and all I wanted to do was hug him.

"I'm gay." Ashton tried to shrug, like it was no big deal, but his shoulders shook, as he bit his lower lip to keep it from trembling.

"You... I'm sorry what?" I had to make sure I heard him right. "Honey?" I asked again when he didn't answer me.

"I am. I mean, I thought I was."  He nodded, trying to look anywhere but me. I got the urge to hug him again, so I did. I grabbed him by the shoulders, pulling him to me. He shook against me like a leaf, letting a son escape him, as he held onto me tight, and I could see Calum bury his face into Ashton's back, and wrap his arms around both of us.

My mind was racing in a million different directions. Ashton Irwin, one of the people that I knew best in this life, one of the people that knew me best in this life. This was so much to comprehend. 

"What do you mean you thought you were?" I asked when he pulled away to wipe his eyes. "I'm sorry, I just don't understand."

"Kayla....the other night when you kissed me, something clicked. I don't know how to explain it. I think I may have a tiny crush on you. It's all so new to me."

"First of all, wow. This is a lot to process. But honey, I see you no differently than I have before. You're you, no matter who you love. Also, I'm, well, shook. "

Ashton laughed a little at that. "I'm glad to hear you say that, Kayla."

"So.... What does this mean?" I asked, looking up at him.

"I don't know. I mean I know I like you."

"You do?"

"Yeah. I do. And it's kinda scaring the shit outta me, so... Please say something."

"Ash-"

Right at the moment, the sound of Angelle and Sierra arguing cut me off. I sighed, throwing my hands up.

"Ok, time for damage control. Help me up, boys."

Hi guys, it's M. I think A might have forgotten to update today sksk. Well here I am. Your lovely, sick hero. Sending all of you best wishes, whether you're taking finals, on the hunt for a job...or on the hunt for a bae (ew, what is that? *flashbacks to 2014*) Either way, good luck, beautiful people. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna fall into a cough syrup induced coma.