chapter one

my brown hair is straightened perfectly, and my light blue dress is wrinkle-less. the bags under my eyes are concealed and my makeup is gentle, but still visible. i look clean. i have been preparing for this for almost an hour now, and i feel like i am finally ready.

"andro, we have to go soon but we-"

tara's words come to a halt when she walks into my room, taking in my appearance. "you look beautiful," she says, a smile creeping onto her face. i don't often do things like this, but she convinced me to after a few weeks of begging.

"thank you," i say, my smile matching hers. she is dressed in a black dress, reaching her thighs perfectly. i silently wondered how'd she keep the fabric down the whole night, but dismissed the thought when she rushed me out of the room.

"let's go!" she squeals in excitement. "i feel like i've been hiding you from all of my friends."

"i'm hiding myself," i correct her with a gentle laugh. when she met jake i was so excited for her, and i was more than willing to meet him, but when i realized that would come along with meeting everyone else i backed out. there are so many of them, and they all seem so insane and energetic.

"it's just a pizza night, you'll be okay," she says, easing my anxiety with her words. i smile and nod, agreeing with her calmly. i know it will be an anxiety filled night but i plan on ignoring my fear. i just want to have a good night and finally meet everyone. she's raged about them for months now, but i've never been one for going out like this.

i get into my car, unlocking the door for tara to climb in beside me. my car is old, and not updated at all. you have to lean over and manually unlock it to let someone in. she's always pestered me about it, but i've gotten so used to it. i never wanted to go out of my way to get a new one. it does the job.

"i texted you the address," her voice is gentle and cautious, she's clearly aware of how scared i am.

"it'll be chill," she assures me for the fifth time when i open my map and copy the address in. ten minutes. i have ten minutes to calm my anxiety and gather myself before we get there.

i run through all of the possible scenarios until i can't think of any more. we both stay silent the whole ride, but i don't mind it and she doesn't seem to either. the quiet music from the radio fills the void between us and i thank it mentally.

"is this it?" i say as i approach an apartment building that looks vaguely familiar from a few pictures and videos tara has showed me. "yup, pull in there, just park outside the complex, it's complicated to get inside." her words are gentle still, and i can't decide if i am thankful or wish she wouldn't treat me like a child when i am anxious. on one hand, it helps. but on the other, it makes me feel cradled and i hate feeling vulnerable.

"okay," i say quietly as i park around the corner from the entrance of the complex.

"i'll text jake and tell him we're here," she says pulling her phone out. i hope he comes down here first and i don't have to meet him in front of everyone else. i pray not everyone is there yet and that we are early.

"he's coming," she says, unlocking her door, climbing out and locking it again before closing it. i follow her actions and walk around to her, trailing behind her as she walks in through the front doors. the building is nice and smells like rich people and candles. the scent is weird and foreign but it is comforting to me right now.

"jake!" she practically squeals, running up to him as soon as she spots the red haired boy. i smile and watch as they exchange greetings before his eyes land on me.

"hello! i'm jake," he says politely. i am surprised by his manners, because from what i've heard he is just as crazy as i've seen on his youtube videos.