chapter fifty-one

"hey," i say quietly when colby opens the door for me. i keep my eyes down and walk inside.

"what's up?" he asks, a smile covering his face. i feel like i can't stop myself when i begin to frown. i hate this feeling. i absolutely despise knowing that we aren't on the same page.

"how was your trip around the hall?" he laughs and i sigh out.

"jake told me," i say quietly. i pour myself a glass of water while i leave the boy to decode my vague statement. "told you what?" he asks. stop acting clueless, just be honest with me. i can't have small talk about our days right now.

i stay silent, and i listen as he exhales loudly.

"about the house?" he asks. i nod slowly, not even looking up at him while i walk from his kitchen to his couch. i sit down, bracing myself for the worst.

"why would he do that?" he whispers under his breath. no colby. the question is not why would jake tell me. it should be why didn't you tell me.

"i'm sorry," he lets out a long, drawn out breath. that's it?

"seriously?" i look up to him, my blood beginning to boil. how does he not have anything else to say?

"i don't know," he shrugs.

"you're kidding right? you have been purposely hiding this from me havent you? why is that all you have to say?"

"i mean... yeah i was hiding it but i-"

"that's all i need to hear." my tone is poisonous, but i don't care. i want it to be perfectly clear that i am upset about this. i'm not going to let this slide.

"are you seriously mad at me?" he asks. i roll my eyes and set my water down before turning my body towards him.

"why didn't you tell me?" i ask, my voice serious and calm. "i guess i just... i don't know. i didn't want you to know." how can that be an excuse? how can he still want to keep things from me after all this time? after everything we've been through together? if something like that arose for me, he would be the first person i told. i would tell him before i even knew for sure.

"why can't you just mind your own business?"

he can't be serious. how is him moving not my business? it wouldn't bother me if he had only told me about it. in fact, it wouldn't be an issue at all. there never would've been a problem if he didn't purposely hide it from me. my hands are shaking and my voice is lost. i want to yell, but i can't find the words that i want to scream. my mind is clouded and i need to get away from him before i do find the words i want to say. that won't end well for either of us.

"seriously?" how can he blame me for being upset that he is hiding things from me?

"yeah, seriously! you're being stupid."

i quickly get up from my spot, running into his bedroom and grabbing my phone on the way. i frantically text jake, freaking out because i don't know what to do. one of the issues that come with living with colby, is that i don't have anywhere to run off to when he does things like this. i knew it was only a matter of time before this problem arose.

"andro?" the nickname from his mouth only makes me angrier. he never calls me that, why now? is it because i'm being stupid?

"what?" i call out, intent to let him know that i need to cool down before he tries to talk to me again.

"look. i am sorry that i didn't tell you. but you're being insane about this," he shrugs. i am not being dramatic, i know for a fact that he wouldn't have hidden it if there wasn't a reason, and he clearly doesn't want to tell me about something, so i just need to get away from him for now. i need to avoid him so that i don't go on complete tara mode.