chapter thirty-four

the ride home from the hotel was peaceful. it was silent, more than silent, haunting even. but it was peaceful. it was calming, and i enjoyed every second of it, surprisingly.

when i got back to colbys, he was already inside. i knocked and didn't even try to open it, despite knowing he would laugh at me for being so polite when i didn't have to be. its colby, i can walk in without knocking, but it's colby and i don't want to walk in without knocking.

"have you seen?" he asks.

"seen what?" i ask, plopping down on his couch next to him.

he turns his phone to reveal a series of photos that he was tagged in of me and him, from our youtube video together. i grabbed it from his hand and began scrolling.

"omg they're so dating wtffjsknaicjakdnc this is so cute i'm living for it"

"taras best friend??? wow colby, low!!!!! so cute tho i love them together"

"she's adorable for him"

"i'm so happy they look so happy"

a smile covers my face and i am surprised. how don't they hate me? i guess they don't know everything, and they don't even know if we are together, but they are being too kind to not catch me off guard.

"they're so nice!" i exclaim, my smile not leaving for even a millisecond.

"i know right! i love them," he responds. he is so cute.

"do you think they'll hate me if they actually find out?" i ask, honestly. it is a fear i have.

"no. i don't. if they hated you they would've expressed it already. it's not like we actively hid it."

"true, do you think they'll hate me when i make my own channel?" i ask and he grows a smile that i recognize all too well. his childlike, excited smile. i have been thinking about making a channel a lot lately, and it doesn't surprise me that this would be his reaction. i'm sure he thought he'd have to convince me.

"can we?!" he is practically screaming and i place my finger over his lips to shush him. he lets out a small giggle before repeating his question in a much quieter voice.

"maybe..." i trail off, a smile still plastered on my face like a billboard. i want to do this.

"what do you want the name to be?"

"andromeda?"

"your profile picture?"

"that one!" colby is scrolling through my twitter, and i point one out from the day tara and i went to a carnival together. it is one of my favorite memories, but i choke down the thoughts about her as well as i can. katrina told me the truth just yesterday, and i have been doing everything in my power to not let it get to me.

"i love this one," he agrees with me and i watch as he makes it my picture. he presses the big red done button and i gasp.

"woah i have a channel!" i exclaim and he giggles at my childlike actions.

"don't get so excited yet. now we need to do your first video," he explains. i nod and listen to his ideas as he shoots them into the air we share aimlessly. none of them appeal to me, i don't want to do a simple introduction video. i want to do something big, something that fits my character. i want my first video to capture exactly what kind of content i want to make.

"what if i did a video with you and katrina? maybe we could do some silly challenge or something?"

"a video with your friends for your first?" he asks, real curiosity lining his tone. "yeah! i don't wanna be boring with an introduction. i can do a q&a for my second video, i just want to do something more fun for the first one."