chapter thirty-five

"baby." a shake on my shoulder pulls me out of my peaceful unconsciousness.

"hmm?"

"someone's at the door," he tells me. "why are you telling me this? its your apartment," i respond, wishing i was asleep and not being awoken by silly announcements from my weird boyfriend.

"it's devyn, she certainly isn't here to see me."

i rub my eyes before sitting up. "okay," i say quietly, standing up and straightening my clothes out. despite the fact that i just woke up and it's obvious, i don't want to look unpresentable for a guest. even if it is just devyn.

when i creek the door open slowly it reveals an eager-looking devyn, standing with her arms crossed. initially, i am filled with fear and dread that she will be mad, but when she sees me, a smile covers her face.

"hey!" she greets me excitedly.

"good morning," i say in a groggy voice.

"i'm sorry i showed up like this. i was nearby and wanted to come talk to you in person. i have to tell you something," she begins. i rub my temples for a second before opening the door for her to come inside. i am slightly embarrassed of the state of the apartment, but it's colbys, not mine, and i don't have a right to tidy it up despite how much i want to.

"would you like something to drink?" i offer the brown haired girl. she is dressed casually, her hair straightened and her face bare. i am glad she doesn't look too much better than me so early in the morning.

"water?" she suggests politely and i smile before fixing her a cup of water from colbys kitchen. it's odd feeling at home enough to do this, but i am not complaining. i like staying at colbys, i just fear that eventually it will wear us out, and that's the last thing i want.

"so... what's up?" i ask hesitantly. do i want to know? because recently, i wish i would just stop asking. i hand her the water and sit next to her on colbys couch. i hear the water begin to run in his bathroom, and it takes me a second to understand that colby is taking a shower.

"tara called me last night," she begins. of course. of course it has to do with her. i can't escape this, can i? i just can't ignore it forever? why not?

"what happened?" i ask sincerely. she releases a sigh before speaking again and i brace myself for what i assume will be bad news.

"she's mad about the other night. like really mad."

"what?" i ask. confusion clouds my brain as i go over a list of possible things tara could possibly be mad about. did she see my tweet about hating her last night and figure it out?

"she said some things... like really intense things. i calmed her down, but she was just... really angry. at you and jake," she continues, and i only get more confused. what did i do? with jake of all people?

"i'm sorry you're gonna have to explain, i'm confused," i admit. she nods and a sympathetic smile covers her face.

"she's mad that you went to film with the boys and kat, and she didn't get to go," she explains. that makes sense. i didn't even consider that a possibility, i didn't realize she'd know about it and i certainly didn't know she'd get mad about it. i don't know what to say in response, so i just stay silent and wait for her to continue.

"she thinks jake is betraying her by hanging around you before you guys make up."

"what?" i ask, for once i am not confused, simply dumbfounded that this is something she would find anger in.

"what happened to 'andro i'm so sorry'? now she's mad because what? because i filmed a video for some of my friends?"

"friends that she introduced you to. i think she's just jealous," she tells me. i take a deep breath. "of me and jake or me and colby?" i say, my teeth clenching in anger. how could she go from apologizing sincerely to me and almost having me fooled to starting drama the next chance she gets? why is this even something that matters to her? she was busy, meeting up with an old friend or whatever colby said. it shouldn't matter to her that i am hanging out with people, even if she was the one to introduce them to me.