chapter thirty-one

"how do you like it?"

"i don't know..." i am staring at myself in the mirror, speechless. i have avoided looking at my hair all night, but now that the morning has arrived, i am found shocked at my appearance.

my hair is dark. very dark. i feel like an entirely new person, despite the change being slight. i feel as if my mental state has changed drastically, and my body has followed closely behind. i do not look like me, but i like the way it looks. i feel like a woman, rather than a scared little girl. i stood up to tara, and suddenly i am a stranger to myself.

"i love it," he says, wrapping his arms around my waist and engulfing me in his presence. i am obsessed with this boy.

"thank you, i think i like it too," i say gently. who am i? what have i done with my life?

a few hours go by before i decide to confront the issue that i've let grow.

"do you think you could take me home? just for a little, to get clothes and stuff."

"yeah, of course. but you still want to stay here tonight right?" he asks. my heart feels frozen. i want to stay with him forever. i want to spend every day of my life with this boy.

"yes," i say simply. he nods and smiles. "i'm going to shower, then we can go," he says. i take a deep breath. i know this can't possibly go well, and with my luck she'll be home and want to talk, but i feel like if i talk to her she'll only hurt my feelings more.

i watch as colby walks into his bathroom, a change of clothes in his hand.

his apartment is quiet until he turns the water on and i listen as the shower curtain creeks and screeches throughout the room.

me: hey i'm coming by to grab some clothes in a bit. i have my key if u aren't home

tara: i am. are you still staying at colbys?

me: yeah

tara: ugh

tara: i'm sorry you don't have to stay away from home like this

me: it's fine. i want to

i shut my phone off and ignore my hearts increasing speed. i just have to get this over with. it'll be worth it once i don't have to worry about not having my stuff. i am not sure when i'll have the courage to actually go home, but eventually i'll do it and i'll figure things with tara out. just not now. it can't be now.

"andromeda?"

"yeah?"

"come here," he says. the water has stopped and i quickly find myself at the bathroom door.

"what's up?" i ask through the wooden door, not opening it.

"come in, weirdo," he laughs out. my ears are experiencing true bliss.

"woah," i stutter out, backing up from the scene i am met with. colby is standing right outside of the shower, his body dripping wet and half covered with a towel, a pile of wet clothes in his hand.

"my clothes got wet. can you get me some more?" he asks. my eyes are surely wider than they've ever been, and i am speechless. "hello?" he laughs.

"sorry uh... yeah i can," i say slowly, not taking my eyes off of his torso while i walk out. he giggles as i turn to leave and enter his bedroom.

i dig through his clothes before deciding on a pair of black jeans with rips in them and a black muscle t-shirt. i bring the clothes back and try as hard as i possibly can to avert my stare from him.