chapter nineteen

when we get to jakes i am exhausted. the ride here was longer than expected due to traffic but i'm praying we won't be here all night.

"you okay andro?" devyn asks me. i nod and smile at her. i don't have the energy to explain my anxiety right now. she has no idea what happened with colby earlier and i have no intentions of telling her yet. i just need tonight to run smoothly.

colby: wait for me. i want to talk

i roll my eyes and lock my phone. when we get out of the car i am met with the familiar building that the three boys live in.

i consider taking colby up on his request but decide against it. i don't want to hear his explanation. i don't want to be around him.

me: i'm in the elevator

colby: i'll talk to you in the hall then. please andromeda

i take a deep breath. i don't know how i'm going to avoid this and i don't know if i should even try.

when the elevator doors open i immediately spot sam and colby leaning against the wall.

"jake isn't here here yet, so we are waiting out here." sam announces when we approach them. i didn't know he was joining us but i don't know why i didn't assume so. they all live next to each other so i'm not sure what i expected.

"come with me," colby says grabbing my wrist. i wiggle out of his grip and cross my arms. i know everyone is watching but i don't care. i won't let him boss me around like this.

"andromeda, seriously?" he scowls at and i flash him a fake smile. "yes?"

"please," he begs and i break. i follow him down the hall and into his apartment. i don't look back to see tara and devyns reactions, i am too ashamed of my inability to hold my ground. the air is thick and i am nervous to be back here. just a few days ago he touched me in the other room and tonight he called me lame sexually. what is that even supposed to mean? what kind of insult is that? i've never done anything, of course i'm lame. ugh.

"i was just kidding, andromeda. please listen to me," he says and i cross my arms again.

"please." he sounds so sad. i want to cry right now but i have to stand up for myself. why would he say it if he didn't mean it? i don't believe that.

"talk," i say, agreeing to hear him out.

"look... i'm really sorry."

"it meant so much to me! it meant the most to me that i let that happen and you just make a snarky comment about it when you're jealous? you're so childish. i don't want anything to do with you. i don't think we should-"

i am in the middle of exploding when he puts his hand on my shoulder. the heat from his skin radiates throughout me.

"i was never jealous, and i didn't realize it was that bad to say. i really was just joking-"

"joking?! after how i explained my fears to you? after i trusted you with my body? and please, it doesn't take a genius to see that you were jealous of reggie!"

i'm letting myself speak my mind. i never thought i'd act this way in this position but i'm glad i'm not letting him walk all over me.

"you're ridiculous! why would i ever be jealous?" he ignores everything else i said.

"colby, i may be new to this but i'm not an idiot." i am sticking to my gut.

"okay, whatever. maybe i didn't like the way he was looking at you but seriously, that comment was just a joke and i didn't want to offend you or hurt your feelings." he seems sincere but i can't give up now. not after i've said everything that i said.