The Return of Sera Gordon

"I'm fine. I'm fine." Jim has his arms crossed over his chest.

"You gave us quite a scare, Jim."

"I'm sure you were terrified."

The doctor rolls his eyes. "We all were. I'll discharge you but if you experience any symptoms, I want you to come back right away."

"Thanks, Falcone."

"Falcone?" My ears burn. "Any relation to—"

"My father," he says with a bittersweet smile. "Don't worry, I have not followed in his steps."

My eyes narrow.

He's obviously uncomfortable with the arrangement. Jim told me Lee was seeing Mario Falcone. I didn't know he was a doctor, though. I thought she might be taking a page out of my book.

"Like brother, like sister I see."

"If you hurt her, I will decorate these walls with your brains."

"Are you sure you're not twins?" He asks. "Anyways, let's get you out of here, Jim."

"You can go home, Sera. You don't have to stay for this," my brother says. "It's just paperwork."

I have a sickening feeling that there's somewhere else I need to go before I finally rest my head. "Yeah. I'll— I'll meet up with you later. Bye, Harv."

He waves from a chair on the opposite side of the room.

When I exit, I'm greeted by another familiar face.

"Hello, Lee."

She smiles fondly. "I should've known you'd be back, too."

"Unfortunately. Listen, I— I don't know everything that happened between you and my brother, but I value you outside of him. Please don't think I hate—"

"I wouldn't dream of it." Engagement suits her. She's happy, despite the pain of miscarriage and losing Jim. Maybe I can find that kind of happiness, too. "Mario and I are having an engagement party in a few nights. I'd love if you came."

"I'll be there," I say while feeling a genuine smile on my lips.

"We should have coffee soon. I've missed you quite a bit."

"I agree. Have a nice night, Lee."

"You as well, Sera."

I leave the hospital to travel through the winter air. Everything in my body screams to stay as far away from the mansion as I can. I'm not ready to face it all. I also know I don't have a choice. Staying away would just be cruel, now.

I leap over the gates to the mansion and trudge through the darkness. I almost reach the front door when I notice a figure hobbling out onto a balcony around the side of the house. He abandons his cane to lean against the stone railing.

Carefully, I make my way over to him. With one swift jump, I grab onto the railing and pull myself up. This is how I first saw him, swaddled in darkness, clothed in the moonlight. He's as striking as I remember.

He doesn't look at me. "How long have you been back?"

"For about six months. I escaped the same day Fish Mooney did."

"And you didn't think to tell me?"

"I'm— I didn't even know who I was. So much of my memory was lost until I saw you."

"It was you," he says, mouth falling open. "You picked me up from the street that night. I thought I was dreaming. I loved you, Sera. I'm sorry. Cardinal, is it?"

"That doesn't matter. I was terrified to come to you. I didn't know if you still felt the same and— and you were hunting monsters! You ordered the people of Gotham to shoot any monsters on sight!"

"You're not a monster."

"I'm not? You saw what I did tonight. I'm as monstrous as they come."

"You're not soulless. Not like them."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I know you!" He turns. "I know you, Sera."

"Well, I don't! I've tried to piece myself back together for six months and I am still missing so much of myself."

"Like what?"

I raise up my hands, trembling and tremoring as they always do. "What happened to my hands, Oswald? I remember being a doctor for Falcone and then being busted up. Nothing else."

He waddles over to me. "Sal Maroni tortured you so you couldn't be Falcone's doctor anymore. You've never been able to even hold a pencil since then. My turn. Why were you at the dinner tonight?"

"Jervis hypnotized me to get back at Jim. Where's Loren?"

"She left Gotham after you died and I didn't stop her. No one knows where she is now. "

I should've guessed she wouldn't have stuck around. Wherever she is, I hope she's living a better life than the one she had with me.

"Who else knows you're alive?"

"Jim, Harvey." I shrink into myself. "Butch, and Ed."

"Both of them knew?" He fumes.

"Yes. I— I met up with Butch on occasion. I saw Ed in the asylum before I got my memory back."

"I should kill them both."

"I wouldn't mind it if killing them brought you back to me."

The hard outer shell softens. Sorrow pools in his eyes. I imagine looking at me reminds him of the most painful day in his life. "I should've protected you. I should've been at your side that night. God, I— I missed you so much, Sera."

I give in to my own selfish desires. In one motion, I grab him by the face and kiss him deeply. His hands wrap around my waist, pulling me closer in an insatiable hunger. I feel more like myself now that I ever have.

"It's my turn, Oswald. Are you in love with Edward?"

The question breaks him. "Yes? No? I'm not in love with him," he says. "Let me be clear that the only person I have ever been in love with is you. Not once, even after all this time has that changed, Sera. My love for you has never changed, but it would be unfair to pretend like I don't have feelings for him. Edward filled the void created by your death."

My heart stops.

"Can you give me some time?"

He gave me six months. The least I can do is repay him with the same.

"Of course."

Oswald doesn't release his grip around my body. "Would you like to come in? I left your room like it was. We can move you back in. It'll be like old times—"

"As much as I want to be with you, I don't think I can watch you love someone else. Let me know when you figure out your feelings, Oswald."

"You just got back, Sera. You can't leave me again."

"I'm not. I'll always be around, but I can't move in with you and Ed."

He finally pulls away. "I understand."

"I'll see you soon."

"Goodbye, Dr. Gordon."