All Is Well

After pictures, our small group retreats to the grand, festive dining hall. We fill our stomachs on rich food, cake, and laughter.

Oswald and I share the first dance, as is the tradition. Jim and I take the next one. The bar opens, and everyone is welcome to freely dance, drink, and eat.

"May I?" Bullock asks, extending his hand to me.

"Of course."

"I gotta jet, sister. I got a case, but I didn't want to leave without telling the beautiful bride congratulations."

"Thank you, Harvey."

"You're welcome. Mind if a take a few cupcakes for the boys at the precinct?"

I laugh, "Go ahead."

Bruce Wayne and his butler approach me next.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Cobblepot."

"Please," I say. "Sera's fine. Besides, Sera Gordon got her medical degree. Not him."

Alfred smirks. "How modern, Miss."

"I'm hyphenating, technically."

"I suppose it is smarter. If Sera keeps her maiden name, the infamous Cobblepot name isn't attached to her. She gets less attention that way," Bruce concludes.

"Yes, well, I suppose that is correct, Master Bruce."

"Forgive me for bringing business into your wedding day, but Jim told us about The Judge. He said you killed the leader of The Court of Owls."

"A little discretion, Bruce," Alfred rests a hand on his son.

"It's okay," I assure them. "I did kill him. Maybe sometimes the best thing to do is also the ugly thing. The Court plays god with the lives of innocent people. It was time to end it for good."

"I see. They'll be looking to you for guidance. I hope you make better decisions than their previous leader."

"To be honest, I haven't been contacted and even if I was, I would decline. I'm not interested in destroying my hometown."

"We're sorry for taking up your time, Miss Gordon. We'll let you enjoy your evening. Come along, Master B."

It's never pleasant with them, is it? There's always something going on between the two of them. I remind myself it's not my business. There's no need to dig into some billionaire orphan, right?

On my way to the bar, Selina, Ivy, and Firefly bump into me. The three friends are locked arm to arm.

"Congrats, friend!" Ivy breaks the tie to hug me. "How does it feel to be a married woman?"

A chuckle escapes my lips. "I feel a little richer, actually."

"Keep your windows locked!" Selina calls over her shoulder.

Tabitha is drinking through my vodka like water once I finally reach the bar. I order myself another champagne.

"Thanks for coming," I say, not looking up from the wooden counter. "It really means a lot to me."

"Don't mention it. I'm only here for the booze."

As I imagined.

"And I might rob some of the rich assholes, too."

I knew that, too.

"And," she sighs, "he always rooted for you two. Butch would've wanted to be here."

If I didn't think she's slice my throat open, I'd hug her. Instead, I raise my glass. "To Butch."

She knocks her shot glass against mine. "To Butch."