The Incorruptible

I take the estate's empty pick-up truck into the nearest town. It's a tiny little thing. The entire population seems to live around one street. This avenue has a grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, post office, fire station, and a combined city hall and police station.

Across the bay in the distance stands Gotham. Unlike the polluted and corrupt, this tiny town is a breath of fresh air. I pay for the medications to keep my profile low. Who knows how long we'll have to hide out here?

"Hey," Jim says into the phone. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

I breathe in the country air. It burns my lungs like hot tar. "I'm in some tiny town outside the city. I'm okay. Sorry for worrying you."

"Yeah, well don't come back until you have to."

"Why?"

"I just spoke with Dent. He's not happy with me or the GCPD for keeping your secret. He's trying to prosecute Bullock and he wants squadrons out looking for you. I think Bullock's hands are tied."

"They can try to find me. They won't. Even if they do, I can—"

"Don't make this harder on yourself. Just stay put until I tell you it's clear, alright? Lay low. I can't lose you again."

I don't have any choice other than to comply. Harvey's a passionate, determined man. He'll find me if I make a single wrong move.

"Okay. I will."

"Thanks for your help last night. I understand it was hard to do, but it was the right thing."

"I'm starting to think the right thing is the most painful," I say. I still haven't been able to process the events that took place. Everything from the powerplant losing power up until now is a blur.

My brother sighs through the phone. "I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way. I shouldn't have encouraged you to take this job in the first place. I miss you, punk."

"I miss you too, dorkus. I'll see you soon. Harvey will calm down, I'm sure."

"Let's hope. Get some rest. You've earned it."

I hang up as I enter the house. Ivy's pacing in the living room, whispering to a small succulent in her palm. Something about her seems off. I administer the antibiotic to the sleeping patient and plop on the couch.

"What's your story?" I ask, my eyes narrowing. Coincidences don't exist in Gotham. They certainly don't where Oswald is concerned.

She looks up from her greenery. "Oh, me?"

"Who else would I be talking to?"

She sits in the loveseat. "Well, I was born in—"

"I'd like the abridged version, please. I am very tired and I want to know if I should kill you before you kill me during my nap."

"Oh. Oh, well. Okay. My name is Ivy Pepper, as you've learned. One of Fish Mooney's friends turned me into the woman you see."

"What do you mean?"

"I was a kid before this. Did you ever meet Selina Kyle? People call her Cat."

I vaguely remember her from my past. How old might she be now? Fifteen? "I do."

"I was her age. I'm still—" she counts the numbers on her hands— "fourteen, but I don't look it. Do I?"

My head shakes. "So what's it to you? You got this aged-up thing and decided to live in this estate alone?"

"I'm not alone! I have you two now, and my plants."

Crazy plant lady. Got it. She seems harmless enough. Perhaps a little lonely, but aren't we all?