Best Served Cold

I stumble to the nearest hospital only to hear everything that I didn't want to. I'm diagnosed with a fractured sternum, broken arm, bruised ribs, dislocated shoulder, busted eardrums, and various other scrapes and cuts. They recommend immediate admission in order to treat these wounds.

I allow them to re-stitch my stomach and bandage the lacerations. After that, I sign for a voluntary discharge.

"But Miss—"

"Nah. Let her check out," a familiar voice says from the door.

It's Galavan and Gilzean. Panic flares in my gut. I can't take both of them on right now.

"Relax, Cardinal. We're not here to kill you," he informs.

Tabitha snatches my throat. "But I could. You betrayed us. I should've known Penguin wasn't actually dead."

"Tabby, play nice," Butch eases. "An enemy of our enemy is our friend."

"And who is your enemy?" I ask, slipping my shirt over my sports bra.

Tabitha glances up at the sky. "At the moment? Edward Nygma. We had Tetch in our position. Nygma took him and escaped."

A smirk takes hold of my features. "What do you need from me?"

"Barbara is leading a crusade to find the freak. He's making some kind of trade with your brother. Ed's giving them Tetch to cure the virus, and in return, they're handing over your boyfriend, or—" Gilzean glances at the ring on my finger— "should I say, husband? Fiance?"

"We haven't set a date, yet."

"Let's survive this before we start making plans, okay?" Tabitha huffs. "We want Edward. You want Penguin. Both parties benefit. Will you help us or not?"

"Let's go."

We meet up with Barbara at the Sirens' club. As I expected, she's less than pleased to see me. The palm of her hand collides with my cheek.

"If you weren't already on the brink of death, I would kill you here and now. When we get in there, you will help us retrieve Tetch. Understand? I couldn't care less if your boyfriend lives or dies. You help us, or I will have Tabitha slaughter you. Are we clear?"

"Crystal."

Barbara screams and shrieks the entire way to the warehouse. Butch never drives fast enough. Tabitha is never caring enough, and I'm— well, anything she can think of, really. She leads our group into the shipping yard. I go around back to ensure that Ed can't escape.

"Nygma! Did you really think you could get away with this?"

Butch and Galavan load their weapons. I prepare my scream. Os and I quickly exchange nervous glances.

"I knew you'd figure out that this was about Oswald, but how'd you figure out where we were?"

"Please, you know how many cops I got on the payroll? Oh, baby, you might want to use your inside growl whilst making secret calls inside the GCPD. Now hand him over!"

Ed throws the grenade that hangs around Tetch's neck in Barbara's direction. Everyone dives for cover. Above my head, Butch and Tabitha shoot after Edward.

Barbara shouts. "Let him go! Let him go! We need to get Tetch."

I chase after Oswald and Ed, pushing past my brother in the process.

He grabs my arm. "What are you doing here, Sera?"

I jerk myself out of his grip. "What does it look like I'm doing?"