Book Three Out Now!

The third and final installment of the Born to Fly series is out now. The Flightless is available to read anytime on my profile. 

Here's a sneak peek.

"Look, I've had a long day so if you have a complaint—"

It's Oswald.

He must've finally put my brace design to good use, for he stands without a cane.

"Let me assure you I don't have a complaint."

I fully turn to face my husband. Cobblepot's eyes soften at the appearance of my swelling stomach. For a moment, I think there's actual remorse in his gaze. Those jade eyes become bright blue with tears.

I want to be angry. I am angry. I want to lash out in my grief and loneliness and betrayal. Instead, I choose to reply with something even more frightening than my wrath: gentleness.

"I should think not, Penguin. We're thriving."

"Penguin?" He asks. "We're on that level of formalities now?"

"We're on whatever level of formalities you decide," I spread out my arms, encouraging him to sit. "This is what you've chosen."

He takes the chair when I take my own. "This is something I would've never chosen, Cardinal."

"I haven't seen you in 3 months. You haven't come to any doctor's visits. You haven't even called. Sending your assistant isn't the same thing."

"I know, I know. I just wanted to give you space. That's what you said you wanted when you packed up and left City Hall."

"And that is what I wanted. Space is not the same as you completely disappearing out of my life."

"Well forgive me for not knowing the difference, Sera. See, there's another thing I don't get about this whole situation. How could you leave me over killing Butch? You knew I was going to kill him from the beginning. Is he really more important to you than I am?"

"No," I clarify. "He wasn't. It's not about killing Butch. This about deceiving me and using me to do it. You, the one person I trusted, my husband, tricked me and injured me in the process. You knew I wouldn't help you get revenge on Tabitha and Butch, so you made me a pawn. Once again, everything is about you, isn't it? You don't get to manipulate me."

Oswald huffs and leans back in his chair. I allow the silence to speak for me. It takes him a minute, but eventually, he regains control of his temper. The softness returns to his voice. "You're right." He pauses. "It's true what they say about the pregnancy glow. Even angry and hurt, you're practically radiant."

"Thank you."

"Are you getting enough to eat?"

"Our rations are slim, so there's not much to choose from but—"

Nausea rises from my gut.

"What is it?"

I drop to my knees to throw up into a trash can under my desk. Oswald's cool hands wrap around my long, fading blonde hair. He passes down mouthwash and a small homemade candy.

"I really don't think I can eat anything right now. What is this, anyway?"

"My mother swore by candied ginger when I had stomachaches as a child. I made some for you."

Popping the sweet, but not-too-sweet candy in my mouth, I readjust myself back in the chair. Sweat pools on my brow and I can only assume my entire face is red. Tears slip down my cheeks in slow succession.

"Thanks," I sniffle.

My husband sets the small tin on my desk. Beside it, he places ginger tea and my favorite comfort sour candy. I've been craving them since Gotham went dark. I've never been able to find them.

I examine the package. "How did you get these?"

"It wasn't easy. I had to give Barbara another 2,000 rounds... and I had to promise they were for you. Sera, I know how I hurt you. I've done many horrible things in my life and I don't regret a single one of them," he hesitates, then. "Nothing but what I did to you. I want to make it right. I want you back as my lover, as my wife."

My arms cross over my chest. "You broke my heart, Penguin. You destroyed my trust, and now you want me back. You haven't even apologized."

"I— I will admit to that. I'm sorry, Sera. There's a reason you haven't divorced me and I have to believe it's because you still love me, Sera Gordon. I still love you."

"Do you?" I snort. "Prove it. Win back my trust, Oswald Cobblepot."

"What?" He stammers. "How am I supposed to do that?"

"I trust you to figure it out. Hush! Do you hear that?"

In the silence, we listen to the sound of a helicopter whizzing through the air. Seconds after it passes the factory, an RPG shoots it down. The crash shakes the facility.

"You can start with that," I say. "Secure the supplies. Bring them back to me."

"That's a splendid idea, Sera. I'll round up the troops."

Loren pokes her head in. "Sorry to interrupt, boss. A chopper just went down along our southern border. It'd be a perfect way to tie us over until Tuesday. What should we do?"

"Oswald here is already on it. Aren't you?" I smile smugly.

"I'll handle it," Penguin tells my assistant. When we're alone again, he grumbles. "I lost the kid in the divorce, too?"

"I let you keep Arthur."

"Who?"

"Mr. Penn! Jesus. Count your blessings, Oswald."