Epilogue

What comes next is nothing less than a hurricane, and the only people safe from it are the people who caused it.

Penguin shoots a single shot into the air. "This will do nicely."

Cardinal decks a thug in the nose, sending him flying into the wall.

Kent and I stand side by side, as quiet as mice. We help where we're told and shut up when we're told. 

"City Hall? Really. You couldn't have been more on the nose, could you?"

Penguin shoos away his men to secure the rest of the building in order to argue with his wife in peace. "Oh, what would you have done, Sera? City Hall is the most fortified structure in the city aside from the precinct."

"Everyone will attempt to capture the capital," she argues. "It's a fortress, sure, but what is it against every gang in Gotham?"

He dramatically rolls his eyes. "That's why we're building the factory, remember? Ammunition will keep us safe and will be the perfect bargaining chip against other gangs."

Cardinal doesn't like the idea. Frankly, I'm not so sure I do, either. Though, I know better than to speak my mind at this point. This is far more than simple survival tactics. This is their marriage in the balance.

"You handle the empire. I'll handle the factory. I don't want a massive target on my back for obvious reasons. You can get yourself killed if you want."

Penguin objects. "Look, I understand that, but aren't we better served as a team in these desperate times?"

"A team?" Cardinal chuckles. "You've got some nerve, Oswald."

"Okay, Sera. What is it you want to do?"

She thinks for a minute. Her hand rests on her stomach. Our hearts soften, then. I think I even see Oswald's eyes fill with tears.

His shoulders slouch and his tone is more soothed when he speaks again. "You can have the factory, Cardinal. So long as Gotham believes we're together, we'll have enough manpower to stay afloat. I can build up our empire and secure trade with the other territories. I'll keep you safe."

"Thank you." She pauses to regain control of her emotions. "I need space, Oswald. I need to figure out where we stand. I just— I need to be alone. I need to heal."

Penguin halts. "You're not divorcing me?"

"Let's call it a separation."

Cobblepot's not satisfied with that answer, but it's the only one she gives him. "Where will you stay? I want to make sure you'll be comfortable and safe."

"I'll make a room for myself in the factory. It's a full facility, so Loren, Fate, and I should be able to live over there, right?"

Sera's hazel eyes meet mine. I freeze in position.

"Absolutely. We can set things up over there. We're on it, boss."

"Thank you. I'll be right over."

"I wish you didn't have to go, Dr. Gordon."

Heartache is fully apparent in her voice. "I wish I didn't either, but you brought this upon yourself, Oswald. You broke my heart."

"I understand." I guess the same can be said about her husband's voice, too. "I'll have my men bring over rations right away. I'll stop by in the morning, just to make sure you're settled in and properly fortified."

"Promise?" 

"I promise."