Sofia Falcone

I spend the next couple of days recovering in The Court's prestigious, private hospital. For the most part, I'm left alone. Only the nurses and doctor keep me company. I'm forced to admit the things I saw and try to make sense of the things I did not. Doubts parade my mind constantly. I'm unable to sleep without medication, and when I do, it's not a peaceful sleep.

The hallucinogenic trip might be over, but the nightmare is not.

After I return to seemingly normal health, I'm trained by Talon in all of the previous ways of The Court. We spend our time in libraries. I learn about the history of Gotham. I'm tested on my knowledge and pass with flying colors. There's a reason I graduated early.

My desire to learn and gorge myself on knowledge advances our training. Rather than being at the facility for three weeks, I'm only there for two and a half. On my last few days, I'm caught up on the position of the heads of Gotham and I'm to hold a board meeting on how my Court will progress.

Through a series of cameras, I learn of Carmine Falcone's daughter arriving into town. I, unfortunately, watch my brother and this daughter of the mob plot to take down my husband. Sofia pulls all her strings to make him Captain, and he actually takes it! He forces Bullock out of the position.

A raging fire burns in my stomach as I watch Sofia attempt to seduce Oswald. It cuts even deeper when I watch him fall for it.

My assigned Talon shuts off the television. "I'm sorry, Cardinal."

The image of Oswald's softening gaze as this homewrecker rubs his feet and prepares a goulash for him is ingrained in my mind. I play it over and over. I see their faces inch closer and closer until they almost kiss and I—

I raise my hand to silence him.

"We can cut your training short if you want to—"

"I have one day left. Call the board meeting. We will continue as planned."

I sit in the largest throne in front of a fireplace as board members filter in. The commissioner and the mayor enter in together. Then a few other important businessmen and women take their spots.

"I want to welcome you here. Thank you for your attendance, and I want to thank you for allowing me into The Court of Owls."

They share modest applause.

My stomach turns with the thought of my husband's betrayal. "I'm sure you understand that things will work a little different under my rule."

"We do," the mayor says. "We will follow where you lead."

"Well then." I rip off my mask and feed it to the fire. My board members can hardly keep themselves together. "From now on, we are an observation organization only. We only interfere when the fate of the city is at hand."

"That's preposterous!"

"Most of you are bought off by—" I force down the knot in my throat— "by my husband and me, anyways. None of us are above the criminal scum we claim to eliminate. You can't play coy with me."

"And what shall we do in the meantime?"

"We will serve Gotham. There is no more hiding in the shadows. The Court of Owls will be a beacon of light to the city. We will provide disaster relief."

"We are an organization, Mrs. Gordon. Not a charity."

"We are done playing god. It's time we make up for the mistakes of our fathers."

"But wherever shall we get the funds for such an ordeal?"

"Wayne Enterprises," I begin. "We have a chair member right in the heart of their board. I'm sure she can establish a working relationship between the two organizations."