Together

"I'm sorry. What did you just say?"

"You heard me," he says. A wide grin grows upon his chilly features. "I want you to marry me."

"Really?"

Oswald digs in his pocket to reveal a gorgeous white-gold diamond ring. "This was my mother's. Come here," he takes my left hand in his and drops to one knee. "There is no one else in this world I would rather spend the rest of my life with. The Court can play their little games. It has never and will never change how much I adore you. Sera Laurel Gordon, would you do me the honor of being mine forever?"

If the tears don't give him the answer he's looking for, the smile on my face certainly should.

"Yeah! I mean— yes, I will. Nothing would make me happier than being your wife."

He places the ring on my finger and we embrace. I rest my head on his shoulder. In all of my wildest fantasies, our marriage was too far out of reach. Yet here it is. The gorgeous ring fits perfectly on my finger.

"How long have you had this?"

"My mother gave it to me after she met you. She said she knew you were the one. Whether or not I believed her is a different story. She insisted I carry it, so I did."

"All this time?"

"All this time."

"I love you," I say before placing a kiss on his cheek. "I can't believe this is actually happening."

"Me either," Os admits, breathing for the first time since he asked me. "I've never been the one for the domestic lifestyle, but the more you penetrated this hard heart of mine, I became more and more convinced that my mother's prediction was true. I was going to ask you the night you were killed."

"Oh?"

"I was discussing the plans with Loren in the car while you said goodbye to Jim."

I remember. I remember watching him and Loren scramble from the car after I was shot.

"I want her at the wedding."

"She disappeared after you died. Loren could be anywhere in this world, Sera."

"We have time, right?"

"We have forever, now." He smiles. "Would you like to set a date?"

"Damn," I look up the sky, deep in thought. It's been ages since I've thought about how my future was going to work out. "Let's go back to Gotham. Let's gain our power back and then get married, whenever that may be."

"I'm fine with that. There's something I would like to do, too."

"What is it?"

"Kill Edward Nygma."

That name causes a fire to rise in my gut. Suddenly, I imagine I'm suffering from acid reflux at how his name makes me feel.

"Why?"

"No man gets to shoot me and survive. He drained all my power from me, made me think I was going crazy, and then he tried to kill me. It's simple revenge."

"I understand. It's time to make everyone pay for keeping us apart for so long."

"While I'm inclined to agree, you're most likely going to need to cooperate with your brother if you want to see the inside of The Court, Sera."

I pull away from his arms. "I don't know if I can do that, yet. He betrayed my trust. Everyone did! Everyone, but you."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, my dear. It won't be hard to get Jim on your good side, again."