Nobody Likes a Resurrected Magician

I feel disgusting every time Harvey even looks in my direction. I feel even worse when he asks why I'm so distant and I have to lie, including today. We walk hand and hand to Mario's graveside funeral.

Lee, Carmine, and that other woman I saw at the wedding stand side by side. There's not a dry eye in sight, including my own. Harvey wraps a warm arm around my shoulders. The look Carmine and I share is nothing less than hunter and prey.

Whatever ties we had in the past are completely demolished, thanks to Jim's actions. I just hope he doesn't come after me. Carmine has consistently believed in 'eye for an eye' mentality. I pray his old age has made him soft.

Dent and I return to his office after the funeral. Hunting down this mysterious monster and taking my brother's case has made him scarce, which feels more like a good thing than a bad thing as I sort out my feelings. Still, he constantly apologizes for having to skip out on dates or take fifteen-minute lunches.

Today is no different.

"I'm sorry to leave you like this." He kisses my forehead. "I know it must be hard for you. I don't want to keep you trapped in a relationship where we never see each other."

"I'm okay, Harv." I struggle to put on my best smile. Every inch of my body feels weighed down by an invisible thousand pounds. "I understand that things are busy right now. It hasn't changed my feelings for you at all."

The television turns on, revealing an interview with the mayor. Oswald looks sick. His eyes constantly drift off-screen. He's terrified.

"Gosh, I wonder what's wrong with him. Any insight from his previous companion?"

I sigh while running a hand through my hair. "He looks scared."

"That interviewer is one of the toughest in Gotham. I would be too. Anyways, back to what I was saying, I want to offer something to you. You don't have to take it or deny it right away. Just think it over, okay?"

I brace myself.

"I would love to have you move in with me. Jessica will be there, but she's off to college in a few months."

Oh, this is much worse than I could've imagined.

"I'm not sure if things will clear up. If you move in with me, we could at least spend our nights and mornings together." He clutches my hands. "I really love being with you, Sera. It would mean a lot to me, but I understand if you think it's too soon or—"

"I'll think about it, Harv." The excited grin on my face is completely fake. "This whole normal-people relationship is a new concept to me, still. Let me figure it out, okay?"

He kisses the back of my palm. "Take all the time you need."

I spend the rest of my day at the GCPD. After all,  I have appearances to keep. I can mope later after work while Harvey inevitably leaves me alone. After my shift ends, I return home once again. Harvey and I talk about our days over the phone. He's trapped at work, just as I thought. But he promises to meet up for dinner tomorrow.

I can't possibly think of moving in with him. Not while my heart is so fractured. He doesn't deserve this. I prepare the two big words all night. I can't stay with him. I can't continue living this lie with him. He deserves so much better than the killer I've become.

I return to the same routine the next morning. I arrive at the GCPD, train by myself while Jim investigates a lead, and continue organizing the records room. When my brother does return, it's with the horrible news that someone's attempted to resurrect Jerome Valeska.

"We might need the other you, tonight."

"Could it truly get that out of hand?"

The scrapes and bruises along his body confirm my suspicions.