Into the Light

I sleep off the aches and pains in my old apartment, where the keys to The Black Canary are waiting for me, just as Barbara said. I set the engagement ring in my nightstand and finally rest my head after a nice, warm shower.

When I was with Harvey, I loved isolation. I took every moment alone that I could grasp. Now that I'm with Oswald, I long to have the empty space filled. This newfound darkness doesn't fill the void his absence brings my soul.

I wake with the sun, as I did in the safehouse.

"We're leaving now," Os says. "After we pick up Fries, we're stopping by Firefly's location. I suspect we'll return to Gotham in a few days."

"I miss you." I pour myself a cup of coffee. It's not enough to warm my frozen bones.

He sighs through the phone. "I miss you, too. We'll be home soon. Stay safe until I return."

"You've been saying that," I mention. "Stay safe. I've got all this power now. I believe I'm safer now than I ever was."

"I remind you to stay safe so you don't die on me, again."

"Me? Never. I love you. Tell Ivy hello for me."

"Likewise, Sera. I will do that. See you soon."

I stop by an old diner to grab breakfast and head over to The Black Canary before noon. Butch's men are cleaning the place up before working on the redecorations. I meet the booze guy in the back. He drives his truck right through my old warehouse. I have half a mind to kill him.

But then I remember this isn't my warehouse anymore. Only a few trash cans remain as any sign that this was every a functional medical facility at all. The closets and medical cabinets have been removed. Everything's cleaned out.

I wonder if that was Penguin's doing, or just a sign of the times. I'm not sure which answer I'd prefer.

Butch helps me redecorate the office.

"Have you heard about The Court of Owls?"

I drop the black desk. "Why do you ask?"

"So you do know something."

"That depends," I say, starting to wipe down the wood with pine sol. "Who's asking?"

He hangs the yellow-framed mirror against the wall. "Ed, particularly. He and Barbara are going after them. She thinks she'll never be in control until they're out of town, and Nygma loves a challenge."

That reminds me of Jim. At some point, I'm going to have to bring him a peace offering to receive his help. He won't take my threat well. I'll have to play the nice sister act to get in good with him. Maybe I could send Oswald to do the negotiating.

"Honestly, I think they're both wasting their time."

"Tabitha and I agree."

"Ed's an idiot, and they're going to kill him the moment he goes sniffing around. Barbara's right. She'll never be in control until they're out of town, but there is no getting them out of town. There's no scaring them or destroying them. We're just pawns," I tell him. "We're all pawns in their sick game."

"Jeez." Butch shutters. "So you obviously know more than you're letting on."

"They killed me, Butch. Barbara isn't even a threat to an organization like theirs. She's child's play to them. They'll have her killed in a second. That's all I'm going to say about it."

"Got it. Mums the word. Oh, we got what you wanted."

"Did you? Bring them in."

A henchman brings in two beautiful bird cages. A cardinal in one, a canary takes up the other. Butch sets the cardinal on a tall filing cabinet, while I hang the canary on a beautiful iron stand.