Beasts of Prey

"Thanks for sticking your neck out for me," I tell Butch once we arrive at the old club. "You didn't have to do that for me."

He smiles, as innocently as ever. "I know. It's the least I can do for you after all that you've been through."

"Do you think you'll return to the club once I've got it up and running? I could use you."

Butch unlocks the entrance. "I don't think so. I'm moving on up in the world, Cardinal, but I'm always a call away."

"You know I appreciate it."

Walking into Fish's, then Oswald's old club feels like stepping back into time. It's exactly as Os left it. The dark and purple decorations hang around the place. The liquor display behind the bar looks like it used to, except covered in cobwebs. In fact, almost everything is covered in dust and cobwebs.

How many days did I spend here? I can see myself at the bar while Butch wipes down the counter and Oswald drinks the place dry. We were just kids. Maroni hadn't kidnapped me. Butch hadn't lost his hand. Gertrud was still alive, and so was I. It must've been a lifetime ago for how desperately I cling to those memories.

"Man, it's weird being here," Butch says as he flicks on the lights.

I bask in the grungy, dimly lit ambiance. "I couldn't have said it better, myself."

"Well, you're the boss. Where should we begin?"

"Take out the purple," I say. "What's the bar scene like around here?"

"There's not much. It's mostly for the rich and uppity. The theatre district has changed a lot since Penguin ran the place."

"Okay, then let's make a club for the not so rich and uppity. I want black curtains, I want grunge. Let's throw a little yellow in there, too."

"I'll assign the boys to make it happen. What's this place going to be called? Cardinal's?"

"No," I shake my head. "That's too obvious. I want it to be something good; something people will recognize."

"It's just a club, Cardinal. If all goes well here, you'll have plenty of chances to name something more influential."

I run my hands down my face. "I'm not sure. What about The Black Canary?"

"I mean—"

"Yeah. I like that. Prepare a yellow neon sign to go outside. Let's make a bird cage the marquee. The Black Canary is about to be in business."

"I'll make some calls."

He walks outside to order the proper goons around. There are a few in charge of picking out a specific list of decorations, others will be arriving to help set the place up, he's got another guy on booze duty, and someone else is searching for kitchen staff.

My phone rings, too. I take the call while I'm alone.

"Hello?"

"Hey," I answer my fiance with the most nonchalant tone I can manage. "What do you need?"

"It's good to hear from you, too." He snickers. "How's it going?"

"Well, I've got your old club. It came at a cost, though. I'm now Barbara Kean's hired muscle."

"That's good. Learn what you can. It will all be useful in our quest. Now, my dear, I just spoke with Ivy. She said that Selina Kyle met some interesting monsters in Indian Hill. What better way to take our territories back than with an army of freaks?"

"What about Gabe? Is he on board with this?"

"Gabe is dead," Oswald announces. "He betrayed me. Tried to sell me out. I think this army is a perfect idea. Superpowered, possibly quite impressionable freaks? Barbara Kean will have to bend and I can finally get my revenge on Ed. I called to see if you remember anyone who might be interested in a job."