Disillusionment

The mobsters who come into contact with me regret it. A long trail of organs and blood mark my path like breadcrumbs. What remains of the GCPD follow shortly behind.

The entrance to the carnival is guarded by Jerome's best. It takes a single scream to demolish their pitiful guns and toy knives. On my signal, the cops filter into the carnival.

A camera crashes to the ground near my feet. I pick it up to see that it's still rolling. Gotham isn't going to last without the good people standing up for it. This isn't my forte. I was never a great speaker, but I'm all the back-up Gotham has right now. I face the lens toward myself.

"People of Gotham or whoever's left of it, Jerome Valeska has taken over our city! The time has come for us to rise against these low-level thugs who mean to destroy our lives! How much oppression are we going to allow before we finally fight?"

From inside the carnival, the captive civilians cheer. An uproar begins. The people are fighting back.

"This city has seen so much. We have gangs and serial killers and corrupt politicians, and we have neglected to move! Today is the day to lose your patience with the evil in Gotham! Those who can, push back! Take your city from the lunatics who think they run this place. Those who can't, find shelter and stay quiet. This night will come to an end. To the mobsters and criminals who think they can run these streets, your reckoning has come. We will not show mercy. We will not stand down!"

I shut off the camera and push through the crowds of fighting. Knives and bullets fly. I help where I can. My knuckles become covered with blood during my search for Harvey. I find him struggling with three thugs. His eye is bruised, his nose is bleeding, and the criminals have landed a few good slices in his skin. He doubles over from a kick to the gut.

One scream sends them flying.

"Harvey!" I run to him, setting him on his feet. "Harv, are you okay?"

A mob of criminals convenes on my location. All of them eager to get a turn to fight the Cardinal. I've never handled a mass of this size before. Brute strength won't be an option. I release a screech and don't stop until everyone in the ambush is writhing on the ground.

"It's you," Harvey says breathlessly. "You're the Cardinal."

I prop him up on my shoulder. I know what's about to come. "Yes, Harv. I am."

"You—" His voice cracks. This is breaking him. "You are the monster I've been hunting. You've been lying to me this whole time."

I thought I wouldn't be so hurt. I thought our split would come easy for me since I deserve it. "Not the entire time. If you knew who I was, you'd become a target. I couldn't let you get hurt. "

He goes silent during the entire ride to the hospital. Even as I call Jessica to let her know I found him, he remains quiet. His eyes stay fixed on everything and nothing at the same time.

The doctor puts him into a room just for the night. They want to make sure he doesn't have a concussion or any internal bleeding. Other than that, he seems okay. Well, other than the emotional damage I've dealt. I stare at my hands from the hospital chair.

"Harvey? I'm sorry."

"You're not sorry," he snaps. "You're sorry you got caught. You're no better than the other scum of this city."

"Harvey—"

"You're a killer. You thought you could get away with it by dating me. I see it all, now. I see who you really are, Sera Gordon! You're disgusting."

"Harv—"

"When I get out of this, I will find you! I will come after you with everything I've got! You will pay for what you've done, you filthy, dirty coward! Do you hear me? I will—"