Eternal Promise

"I know it's not what you want, but—"

"But you love him and want to spend the rest of your life with him."

"Something like that. It would mean a lot to me if you would come to the wedding," I say, sweeping my hair back behind my ears. "I want you to walk me down the aisle, Jim."

My brother thinks about it for a moment. He takes a sip of his coffee. "I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm sorry I haven't been the most reliable brother to you. I promise I will be there."

A relieved sigh parts my lips. "I need you to understand what this means for us. I'm a criminal now more than ever."

"I understand that. Do you understand that I won't go easy on you? I'll hunt you down like everyone else."

I lean back in my seat. "Remember when we used to play cops and robbers as kids?"

"I do," he smirks. "I refused to be a robber."

"And I hated being the cop. It'll be like that, except in real life."

"Before you go, you know The Court will be coming after you sooner or later, Sera."

"They're welcome to try. I have no interest in leading that secret organization."

"I don't know," Jim says. "I wouldn't be so quick to cast judgment. You might be able to do some real good with them."

I scoff. "Sure."

Oswald welcomes me back to the mansion that's covered from attic to basement in greenery. He looks up from the stack of invitations and presses a loving kiss to my cheek. "Sera, you're just in time. Ivy's preparing the flower arrangements."

"Did she find the lilies we wanted?"

"Yes. What did Jim say?"

"He said he'd be there, of course. What about the cake?"

"That's good. It's being made as we speak."

"The venue?"

"We booked that two weeks ago, remember? Deacon Blackfire said he'd be happy to have our wedding at Divinity Church."

"Give me the invitations. I'll drop them off, personally."

"Excellent. After that, I think we're set. You've got the dress, I've got the suit, we've got the cake, the venue, the flowers, the minister, the decorations, the food, everything. All we can do is wait."

"Does this mean you already wrote your vows?" I ask.

He straightens his suit. "They're a work in progress. You?"

"Maybe we should just go with the default vows. The wedding is so close."

"Absolutely not. I will not recite some cookie-cutter pledge to you, the love of my life."

"Fine, fine." I raise my hands in innocence. "I'll drop these off."

I drop off the invitations for the few who actually receive them. We decided early on that our marriage isn't going to be some grand show. Only friends, acquaintances, and whatever's left of our family are allowed to attend.

My last stop causes my heart to tremble. I knock on the door.

Selina Kyle rests a hand on her hip. "What are you doing here?"

"Is Tabitha around?"

"I dunno. Maybe."

"Can I talk to her?"

"Ten bucks."

I roll my eyes but hand over the cash. Only then am I permitted into the ratty apartment.