Chapter 20 - Engaged

It has already been three days since Paul stayed in bed to recover from when he fainted. Today is the day he can finally get up and move around. He wakes up before Ariel this morning and he sees her sound asleep on the couch. He gives her a kiss on her cheek and she stirs a little bit. She doesn't wake up though.

After a while, Ariel wakes up and sees Paul standing over her. "Well, hello, sleepyhead." He says. "What... what are you doing out of bed?" She asks. "Don't you remember?" Paul asked worriedly. Ariel suddenly remembers. "Oh yeah. You're fully recovered today. Sorry, honey. I'm just really exhausted from all that work." She said tiredly. "I understand, love. But I very much appreciate how you stayed by my side during my recovery. It means a lot." Said Paul. He strokes Ariel's hair and smiles. "I love you so much." He said. "I love you too." Said Ariel.

"How do you feel about having a date night tonight?" Paul asks. "I'd like that." Ariel said. "I have a very special surprise for you when we go out later." Paul said. "Will I like the surprise?" Asked Ariel. "You'll love it!" Said Paul. Ariel smiles at her boyfriend. "Sounds exciting. But as of right now, I wanna go back to sleep. I'll come see you when I wake up first thing." She said. Paul nods and exits the living room so Ariel could sleep some more.

Hours later, Ariel wakes up and stretches. She goes into her room and gets herself dressed. After that Paul comes back into the room out of his pajamas and back in his normal clothes. His hair was also wet. "How was your shower?" Asked Ariel. "It was quite relaxing. I definitely needed one after being stuck in bed for three days." Said Paul. Ariel nods and smiles. Paul holds his arms out for her. "Come here and give me a hug." He said. Ariel walks over to him and wraps him up into a hug. Paul smiles at the feeling of having her in his arms.

After they release, Paul gives Ariel a kiss on her forehead. "I really needed this. I missed holding you for the past three days" Said Paul. "I know just how you feel. I'm so happy to be back in my boyfriend's arms." Ariel said. Paul tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear and pulls her in for a kiss. After they pull away, Ariel leans onto Paul's chest. She can hear his heart gently beating.

The two of them walk downstairs to see Ariel's parents and siblings gathered in the living room. "Paul! How nice to see you back on your feet again!" Said Sylvia. "It's great to be back." Said Paul. "I'll bet you two are excited to go on your date nights again." Said Warren. Ariel and Paul smile and nod. "We sure missed seeing you up and about, Paul." Said Lauren. "You'll never know how worried we were after Ariel told us you fainted." Said Jacob. "Yeah. We thought you might've died." Said Tony. "It'll take a lot more than that to kill me." Paul said.

Ariel links her hands around Paul's arm and leans on his shoulder. She and the rest of her family have a nice gathering with Paul standing with them. As the sun went down, Ariel got herself ready for her date with Paul. She put on a yellow dress and black flats. Once she finished, she found Paul wearing a tuxedo and his mop top is smoothly combed. He smiles when he sees Ariel beautifully dressed and her hair in a braid.

Ariel's dress:

Ariel's shoes:

Ariel's shoes:

Ariel's hairstyle:

Ariel's hairstyle:

"Ready for a romantic night out, love?" He asks

"Ready for a romantic night out, love?" He asks. "Absolutely!" Ariel said excitedly. She links her arm to Paul's and waves to her parents before walking out the door. The two go inside Paul's car and he drives to Ariel's favorite spot for their date. Once they reach the bench, Ariel was about to sit down but Paul pulls her back up.

"Don't sit down yet. I want to give you your special surprise." He said. "Oops. Sorry about that." Said Ariel. "No need to apologize. I know how much you like sitting there." Said Paul. He takes Ariel's hands and smiles. "So, what's my special surprise?" Ariel asked.

"Ariel, I've never met a girl like you. You have the most beautiful face I've ever seen in my life. When I look at you, I can't help but smile. Without you, I never feel the same. But when I'm with you, my heart fills with so much joy. Which brings me to something I've wanted to ask you for a very long time." Paul said. He gets down on one knee and pulls out a tiny box. Ariel's eyes grow wide and she lets out a gasp.

"Paul, what are you saying?" She asked. "I'm saying that I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Said Paul. He opens the box and reveals a golden ring. "Ariel Elizabeth Carson, will you marry me?" He asked. A big smile flashes across Ariel's face and her eyes fill with happy tears. "YES!!!" She yelled excitedly. Paul smiles and slips the ring onto her finger. He lifts her up and spins her around. Finally, the two share a romantic kiss.

A little while later, they go back to Ariel's house. Her parents see them smiling bigger than ever before. "You two look very happy. Did something exciting happen?" Asked Warren. "She said yes!!" Paul said excitedly. "What do you mean by that?" Sylvia asked. Ariel shows her parents her engagement ring. They smile real big when they see it. "Our little girl is getting married!" They say at the same time. Ariel's siblings enter the room charging. "Ariel's getting married?!" Lauren said. "When's the wedding?" Asked Jacob. "Can I be the ring man?" Asked Tony.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! One at a time, please!" Said Ariel. "We haven't planned it yet. But we'll get around to working out a date soon." Said Paul. Ariel's siblings nod and smile at the happy couple. "Anyway, we're going to bed now." Ariel said. She says good night to her parents and siblings before she and Paul go upstairs. They put their pajamas on in separate rooms and meet back in Ariel's room.

"I'm so excited for you to become my wife soon!" Said Paul. "And I can't wait for you to be my husband!" Said Ariel. They wrap each other into a hug. After they let go, they tuck themselves into Ariel's bed, wrap their arms around each other, and drift off to sleep.