Chapter 38 - An Invitation

When Ariel woke up the next morning, she felt a lot better. She goes downstairs to find Paul and she sees him on the couch still sleeping. She picks up a blanket that's on the couch and gently lays it on top of him. She then gives him a kiss on his forehead.

Ariel checks the mail and finds an envelope. When she opens it, it was revealed to be an invitation.

You are hearby invited to a royal ball!
Time: 7:00 PM to midnight.
Place: Buckingham Palace
Date: November 4, 1963

Ariel fills with so much excitement. But she kept it in control so she doesn't wake Paul up. About an hour later, Paul wakes up. He finds Ariel in her room looking at the invitation over and over. "Good morning, love. What have you got there?" He asked. "First of all, I'm feeling so much better. Secondly, this is an invitation to A ROYAL BALL!!!!!!" Ariel said excitedly. "A ball?!" Paul asked in shock. "Yes! I've always wanted to go to a ball!" Said Ariel.

She hands Paul the invitation and he reads it over. "It's in two days! How exciting!" He said. "I need to find myself a gown." Ariel said. "Fear not! I shall help you pick one!" Paul says heroically. He gets down on one knee and takes Ariel's hand. "Ariel, my love, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the ball?" Ariel couldn't help but giggle. "Of course I will. Besides, I wanted you to come with me anyway." She said. Paul smiles and kisses her hand.

The happy couple goes out to find a gown for Ariel. When they reach the dress section, Ariel spots three different gowns that interested her. There was a long sleeved black gown with a skirt that drags the floor, a strapless red dress with a huge skirt, and a pink dress with straps and a skirt that reaches down to the ankles.

"My mind is settled on the pink one." Said Paul. "Same. Especially since I don't have to lift the skirt when I walk." Said Ariel. "Would you like to try it on?" Paul asked. "Probably best if I do. Better make sure it fits before I consider buying it." Ariel said. Paul nods. Ariel takes the dress off the rack and takes it into the fitting room. She comes out a minute later to show Paul. "It looks beautiful on you, love!" He said. "Thank you! I'm gonna buy it!" Said Ariel. "If you don't mind, I'll be paying for the dress." Paul said. "No trouble at all. You really are such a gentleman." Ariel said with a smile. "For you, I'll always be a gentleman." Said Paul.

Ariel's dress:

After paying for the dress, the two went home

After paying for the dress, the two went home. Ariel hangs the dress in her closet. There's a knock at the front door. Paul answers it and sees Natalie. "Hi, Paul! Is Ariel here?" She said. "Yes she is, Natalie. I'll get her for you." Paul said. He goes to the steps and calls for Ariel. "Ariel, darling, Natalie's here!" He hollered. "I'll be right down, Paulie!" Ariel hollered back. She comes downstairs about a minute later. "Hi, Ari. How are you?" Said Natalie. "Hey, Natalie. I'm doing great. I was sick yesterday but I'm all better today." Said Ariel.

Natalie gives a thumbs up. "So, did you get an invitation to the ball at Buckingham Palace?" She asked. "Sure did! I already bought myself a dress." Ariel said. "Awesome! Anna, Kayla, and I are gonna go dress shopping tomorrow! Care to join us?" Natalie said. "Heck yeah! Maybe I'll look for some accessories while I'm with you girls." Said Ariel. "By all means!" Said Natalie. "Are you going to the ball with Ringo?" Ariel asked. "You better believe it, girl!" Natalie said with a wink.

Ariel says her goodbyes to Natalie after a few minutes. She's approached by her parents. "Did we overhear you saying you're going to a ball?" Asked Warren. Ariel nods with a smile on her face. "Oh how wonderful!" Sylvia said. "And it's at a palace!" Paul said. "I feel like a princess all of a sudden!" Said Ariel. "Buckingham Palace?" Warren asked. Ariel and Paul both nod. "When's the ball?" Asked Sylvia. "It's in two days." Ariel said. "Well we hope you two have a great time." Said Warren.

For the rest of the day, Paul and Ariel spend time outside. They go to the same park they've gone to at night. But this time, they go while it's still light outside. They sit on the bench and take in the view. Ariel takes Paul's hand and smiles at him. He smiles back. "It's even nicer here during the day! Look at all the flowers!" Ariel said. "They're all so beautiful! But there's something else that's more beautiful than those flowers." Said Paul. "And what might that be?" Asked Ariel. "It's a who actually. And it's a girl." Paul said.

"Oh? Do I know this girl?" Ariel asked. "Yes you do." Said Paul. "Let's see... what color is her hair? How old is she? What's the first letter of her name?" Asked Ariel. "Brown, 19, and the first letter of her name is A." Paul answered. "I see. Who is this girl?" Ariel asked. "It's you, Ariel." Said Paul. Ariel smiles real big. "Oh, Paul! You're the best!" She said. She wraps Paul into a hug. "It's true, sweetie. I know I've said this many times but you're the most beautiful girl in the world." He said. He gives Ariel a kiss on her lips while she kisses him back.

"I'm really looking forward to going to the ball with you, my love." Paul said. "Me too, darling. Me too." Said Ariel. When the sun goes down, they look up at the stars. "The stars are so beautiful as always!" Ariel said. "And look! The moon is out too!" Said Paul. "A full moon!" Said Ariel. She leans onto Paul's shoulder while he wraps his arm around her. "Paul?" Said Ariel. "Yes, Ariel?" Paul answered. "Have you ever been in love before you met me?" Ariel asked.

Paul was silent for a moment. A worried expression appears on his face. Ariel picks her head up and sees him staring into space. "Paul, honey? Are you alright?" She asked. "I... I..." Paul was too nervous to answer. He couldn't get the right words out. "Darling, you can tell me anything. You know that, don't you?" Asked Ariel. Finally, Paul speaks. "I have been in love before I met you." He said. "Who did you have before me?" Ariel asked. Paul takes a deep breath before speaking. "I met this woman named Jane Asher. At first, she was nice and understanding. But eventually, she became clingy and possessive. I couldn't stand her after a while. So I broke up with her." He explained.

Ariel rubs Paul's back after he finished talking. "She sounds like someone that I probably don't wanna meet." She said. "Believe me, if she saw you with me, she'd probably have a fit." Paul said. Ariel felt a chill down her spine. "But after meeting you, my heart knew that I found the right girl. You helped me feel loved again, Ariel. And I would like to say thank you." Said Paul. He kissed Ariel on her forehead and she smiles. "You're welcome, my sweet husband." She said. Whenever Ariel calls Paul that, he can't help but smile. He wraps her up into a hug. "I love you so much, my darling wife." He said. "I love you too, sweetheart." Said Ariel.

Hours later, the couple returns home. They get themselves ready for bed. "Are you gonna be in the studio while I'm dress shopping with the girls tomorrow?" Ariel asked. "Yes I will. Why?" Paul said. "I was just curious, that's all." Said Ariel. "Okay. No problem, love." Said Paul. Ariel walks over and kisses Paul on his cheek. After that, they climb into bed with their arms wrapped around each other.