4: Mushrooms!

Warning ⚠️ The first paragraph in italics is a flashback/dream of abuse. Trigger warning.

This book trailer: youtu.be/lfrxHkckmAE

----------------

Dream/flashback

Tears slid down Y/N's face as she slumped down against the cold wall. Screaming could be heard echoing of the walls as Y/N's monstrous Step dad slammed his fists on walls and toppled wooden tables. Miranda was late home from work and he was mad. Really mad. It was nothing new though. It happened almost every night, every time Miranda was late home or just when he felt like being the worlds second biggest douch bag.

Y/N's heart skipped a beat as she heard heavy foot steps getting closer. She frantically wiped the hot tears from her red puffy eyes because she didn't want him to see her cry. He would use it against her. She scrambled up as the door handle almost snapped and the door was flung open, cracking the plaster wall behind it.

"Where is Miranda!" A voice rumbled from the dark door way. Y/N's throat felt tight and chocked up so she couldn't answer.

"Well?" His tone got darker as he took a few steps forward, making Y/N sink further back into the wall. She could now see his form clearly. Her heart rate was so fast it was almost un-human and her palms were sweating as the beast of a man grabbed her by the neck.

"Let go!" Y/N frantically tried to scramble away but it was no use. A burning sensation filled up her throat as she tried to take in oxygen.

"Where is Miranda!" Robert growled and struck his grimy hand across Y/N's cheek. Tears poured down her soar face and she could see black dots appear in her vision. She was scared and confused. One last sharp pain resonated in her stomach before the smell of pooling blood filled her nose. Then everything went black.

--

"Wake up!" Y/N's eyes flung open as she felt two little hands on her shoulders. Frodo was shaking her awake.

"I-I am awake." Y/N said whilst yawing. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest and her palms were sweaty from the dream. Y/N looked at Frodo, he had concerned face and his eyes were full of worry.

"I think you were having a nightmare." Frodo said.

"Well that's true." Y/N replied and sat up, it was early morning and the birds were chirping. The smell of bacon hit Y/N's nose and her stomach rumbled. The girl looked around and spotted Sam perched on the edge of a mossy rock, with a pan over a fire and muttering to himself about how the bacon wasn't crispy enough which made Y/N grin a little and made her forget the dream.

After a few minutes he seemed content with the food.

"Breakfast is ready!" Y/N jumped up as Sam handed her a plate with bacon, eggs and French toast. She was gobsmacked at how much you could cook even with a single frying pan and a small camp fire.

After ten minutes of eating, the three of the decided to get going again.

"We could cut across Farmer Maggots field and get to the forest, West of the bridge of Bree." Frodo suggested. Y/N was looking forward to this because they would run into Merry and Pippin and they held a high reputation in Y/N's list of favourite characters, along with Legolas (who she had a MASSIVE crush on.) Y/N helped the two hobbits pack up all their blankets, pots and pans.

"Looks as if it is about rain." Sam said as his brown eyes frowned at the grey clouds rolling by.

The trio had been trudging through weeds and crops that went above their heads for a few hours. The rain had passed and the sun started to show itself which was a relief for the Hobbits and Y/N.