25: Golden Eyes

"What does that mean Gandalf?" Pippin asked, hopping off his eagle as the wizard seemed to be forming soundless words, transfixed with the distant figures, his blue eyes were now dark grey, hopeless.

"He means that is 'Annatar' in the guise of the elf Lord, Glorfindel!" Aragorn said, his heart dropping as he watched the small figures on the wall, out of reach or call.

"Annatar? Who in Valar Annatar?" Gimli huffed, trying not to show his fear but the dwarf gripped Legolas's green cloak. Legolas's eyes were wide and full of fear. He found it hard to speak, but he eventually willed his lips to form words.

"Sauron's deadliest servant."

You scanned the land below. After a few minutes of scouring the battleground your eyes landed on six small figures just below the wall. They were surrounded in a sea of black armored bodies that lay in heaps. The figure at the front was clad in white and beside him you could see a flash of blond hair. Is that...? 

"Legolas!" You cried, jumping off the eagle. Turning around to face the elf lord, you pointed to the land below the wall.

"Look Glorfindel, it is them! I need to go see them." You said, racing down  the great stone steps, leaping over the strewn bodies. You ignored Glorfindel's cries telling you to stay with him, but you blocked it out and kept jogging down the stairs, getting out of breathe after only the first five steps. You leaped over the pile of bodies at the bottom of the stairway and landed on bloodied grass under the arch of the Hammerhand. Only a few paces in front, stood six of your companions. You made eye contact and grinned at Legolas, but he did not return the smile, instead he grabbed his bow and threaded an arrow on the draw string. Is he breaking  up with me by shooting me?

"Y/N, run!" Gandalf yelled, galloping toward you. Your heart picked up, why did you have to run, and why the hell was Legolas aiming an arrow at your face? Before you could even take a step, the arrow whizzed passed your head, and 'thunked'  into something behind you. You snapped your head around. Why did he just shoot Glorfindel! But to your horror the Elf Lord behind you chuckled a low, growl like laugh. He grabbed the arrow and tore it out of his chest without so much as a flinch. Your eyes widened as you backed away from the elf who had started to take the first few steps towards you. You willed your legs to work, but they were planted firmly on the ground, heavy like two pillars of lead. Your senses screamed for you to run as the elf grabbed your arm, yanking you towards his bleeding chest. His green eyes seemed to fade into pools of boiling gold, drowning you in the scolding liquid.  

"Let go!" You yelled, struggling against the strength of the being that had taken form of Glorfindel. You were vaguely aware of the thudding of hooves from Gandalf's horse and the whizzing of arrows that tried to embed themselves into the one holding you captive. You snapped your head around in time to see Gandalf almost reach you. Your eyes flicked to Legolas's blue ones as he frantically sent a slew of arrows to the dark being, only for them to bounce off an invisible force field. You watched it all happen as if it were in slow motion, Gandalf reaching out to grab you, Aragorn and Gimli racing towards you with axe and sword in hand, and the last thing you saw was Legolas screaming your name, though the words did not reach your ears. A red light enveloped your body as you felt the man gripping your arm pull you into a crimson wall of light. 

You were there, and then you weren't. The six had watched as you were tugged into a pool of red light by Annatar and then to evaporate within a matter of seconds. They all felt useless, like they had not tried hard enough to stop the kidnapping, but what could they have done? It all had happened within a matter of seconds. Legolas sat at the back of the group, his head bowed as the horse plodded on behind the others. He only just got you back, and no sooner had he seen you, you were gone again. He bit his lip, what kind of torture would you be subject to? What would the dark forces put you through to find the whereabouts of the ring? Would they kill you? He shivered and pushed that thought out of his head, gripping the reigns tighter as he nudged the horse to speed up after he noticed how far he had fallen behind.