23: Part Of This World

You looked up from the yellow boots to the face of the old man. As soon as your eyes met his, all fear and worry seemed to wash away in a wave of calmness. His face was old, his mouth lined with laughter lines that were surrounded by a bristly brown beard. Under his crooked green hat, two bright blue eyes shown through, radiating a friendly warmth.

"Enjoy you trip?" The old man let out a chuckle. You looked at him with amusement mixed with slight dismay. He did not just use that pun! You shoved yourself up with the helping hand of the old man. When you stood fully upright you could not help but notice how short the old man was, only coming up to about your waist, and also how familiar he was to you. The bright yellow boots and the singing rang a bell in your distant memory.

"Old me forgets myself, My name is To-"

"Tom Bombadil." You said, cutting him off. "You are Tom Bombadil, protector of the forests and those who live in them." The old man raised his long wispy eyebrows and let out a hearty laugh.

"Why yes child, I am!" Before you could carry your conversation any further, a yelp sounded from behind you.

"Your twig is in a place it really should not be!" You knew that voice. Very well. A small tree came thudding out of the forest, and on it's shoulder sat a squirming Hobbit.

"Pippin?" A grin broke onto your face as you rushed over to the Hobbit who was dismounting the Ent. 'He is alive and safe! But why is he not with Merry?'

"Y/N! You are awake just in time for supper!" You laughed as you bent down to hug the hobbit, but you noticed he was eyeing the plates and basket that Tom had laid out.

"Come children, come eat." Tom motioned for you and Pippin to take a seat by the plates. You crossed your legs on the damp grass next the yellow booted man, with Pippin on the other side of you.

"Did Goldberry make those lovely jam sandwiches?" Pippin turned to Tom who was opening up the basket. It wasn't until you laid your eyes on the array of sandwiches in the basket did you realize how ravenous you were after your stomach let out a loud rumble.

"Yes, yes Master Took, my lovely Goldberry, merry berry-o made the sandwiches with love!" Tom laughed and handed the Hobbit his fill, before turning to the old Ent who had started to thunk back to the forest. "Dear Skinbark, will you not stay and have some Ent draught?" The old man held out the crooked bowl of water towards the moving tree. 'Why is it just hitting me now that the tree is walking and talking?'

"Hmmmf, I shall pass. I must... Harmmmph... Go retreive Goldberry and...Glorfindel." You took a bite of your sandwich, eyeing the tree with curiosity. Did he just say Glorfindel, where do I know that name?'

"Alright good friend, go hop a dil-dilo!" Old Bombadil guffawed loudly, waving Skinbark away, before turning to you and clapping his hands together. "Now dear Y/N, you have much to explain so you better dilly dally!"

Between you and Pippin the two of you had two had managed to munch your way through most of the sandwiches as you recounted your story. You explained how Frodo and Sam went on alone, talked about your memory starting to fade and about the trek that you, Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas had taken to try and find Merry and Pippin after they had been captured and how they found out Gandalf was still alive and was awaiting them in the forest of Fangorn.

"Gandalf is alive?" Pippin had almost imploded in on himself when he heard the news. You then explained the ride to Rohan, but made the executive decision to leave out the part where you got locked up with Wormtounge.

"And before I knew it, the warg had flung itself off the cliff with me attached to it, then I woke up hear." The other two listened intently as finished your tale. Your mind wandered back to the battle, back to your friends...Back to Legolas. Was he alright? Did he get hurt? Worry started to set in, but before you let it take hold completely, you changed the subject. "What about you Pip, how did you end up here?" You asked.