29: The Grey Havens

Morning sun peaked over the infinite expanse of glittering water, casting a golden glow on the waves that rippled softly onto the pale sand shore. The grass swayed softly in the breeze that ruffled the ember fallen leaves on the silver and gold cobbled path you wandered down. By your side, a little boy of nine years gripped your hand tightly and skipped along happily.

"Mother, where is Ada?" The little boy asked. You looked down and met your sons fiery golden eyes.

"He is getting ready for us, Apollo." You said and patted your son on the back.

"Getting ready for what?" He whined, dragging out the 't' in what. You laughed at his antics before saying;

"You will see."

You and Apollo made your way down the winding path, under great white trees and through glistening fields until you came to a small thatched roof cottage. The cottage had ivy climbing up it's walls and around the bustling window. Red and white roses sprouted from the ground on either side of the green door.

"Close your eyes." You said and placed your hands over your sons face, causing him to giggle. The front door creaked open slowly, and a short head popped around the corner.

"Ah yes, the birthday boy himself." An old voice croaked. Bilbo slowly opened the door wider so you and Apollo could enter.

"Is that grandpa Bilbo?" Apollo asked.
  "It sure is my Dear Boy." Bilbo laughed, enveloping him in a frail hug.
   "Sméagol! Don't touch the potatoes!" You heard Sam yell from the kitchen. You chuckled, ushering your son into the dining area. A waft of home cooking hit your nose: roast chicken, potatoes, roast vegetables.
   "Ah here is the birthday boy." Legolas ducked under the arched ceiling, hair down and in a silver tunic. He grabbed your son, spinning him around in the air.
"Hello, my love." Legolas said, setting Apollo down, and pecked your lips.
"Hello." You smiled back.
"Come on, dinner is getting cold!" Sam rushed out of the kitchen, setting a tray of potatoes next to the chicken. Behind him followed Sméagol, Frodo, Gimli and Aragorn. Legolas pulled out a chair for you, before taking a seat for him self. After everyone had taken their place, Gandalf started the night off with some magic butterflies that twinkled in the dim light and cluttered around the heads of the people enjoying their meals.

The night flowed by quickly, and Apollo had been sent to bed after scoffing four of Bilbos secret recipe cakes. You had your head rested on Legolas shoulder, watching the crackling flames dance around the fire place, casting of red shadows.
"I do wonder how Gondor is getting on." Frodo said, leaning back in his chair. You smiled and closed your eyes, inhaling the scent of Legolas; pine wood and mint.
"I am sure Eowyn shall be a good ruler in my stead. After all, I did choose her after stepping down after three years." You said as Legolas stroked your hair gently.
"Well, I am glad we are all here, safe, and happy." Sam said, pushing a sleeping Sméagol off his lap.
A content sigh left your lips as you looked at all the faces of your friends. They were really here. And in that moment, a tear of happiness slid from your eye as you formed a small content smile.
"Bilbo once said." You started as everyone turned to you.
"It's a dangerous business, stepping onto the road, if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you will be swept off to."

The End

(2021) NEW STORY- Info on the next chapter