18: Thuringwethil and The Took

Aragorn stepped forward to greet the wizard. At the back Gimli,  Legolas and you were stood in awe, marvelling at the old man you thought you would never see again. As if on que, Legolas dropped to his knees and bowed his head in shame.

"Forgive me, I mistook you as Saruman." He said and lifted his head to meet the wizards shocking blue eyes. 

"I am. Or rather as Saruman should be." Gandalf explained as you hung onto his every word, listening eagerly to the familiar speech, but your memory was still fading and you had to dig deep to recall what happened in the films and books.

"It cannot be, I saw you fall." Aragorn said, but the wizards face turned grim.

"Through fire and water. From the lowest dudgeon to the highest peak, I fought him, The Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last I Threw down my enemy and smote his ruin on the mountain side. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time, the stars we live everyday was a spark of life range of the earth. I felt life in me again. I have been sent back until my task is done." Gandalf said, looking into nothingness, as if he was re-living the terrible memory again.

"Gandalf-" Gimli had started but he was cut of by the old wizard.

"Yes. That's what they used to call me, 'Gandalf the Grey.' I am  Gandalf the White now." Gandalf smiled and stepped before the remaining fellowship with a new warmth.

 "Did you see Two Hobbits pass through this way, Merry and Pippin?" Asked Legolas, but the news you received was not to pleasant to pallet. 

"Yes, Merry passed through this way the day before yesterday. He met someone he did not expect, does that comfort you? But for dear old Pippin, I do not know. He was not with his friend. I have been scouring the surrounding lands for him but here he is not." Not with Merry? You thought. Shooting Legolas a worried glance, he squeezed your hand and pried further. 

"Do you have any idea of Master Pippins whereabouts?"

"No I do not. Though I feel like there is no need to worry. My gut tells me he is safe, at least for now."  For now.

The now party of five had been riding to their new location in the lands of the Riddermark, they were headed for the Kingdome of Rohan, the Kingdome Of Horse Lords. The horses which bore them were growing tired, exempting one, Gandalf's horse, Shadowfax. Gandalf noticed this and slowed down for the others to catch up.

"We make camp here, but we must go with haste at first light, these lands are not safe anymore." He called back to your delight. You had been sharing a Horse with Legolas and lets just say you were banned from being in charge of the reigns from then on, until Legolas could teach you how to ride as you almost killed the both you. For the past few hours you had been groggily holding onto Legolas trying not to falling asleep, so the sound of camp made you revel in delight. Legolas helped you down of your horse and You helped carry the fire wood to a gap within to small hillocks which provided shelter from the weather and other not so friendly creatures that roamed the night lands.  You huffed and drooped the wood in a head in front of the wizard and took a seat beside Gandalf. The other three were securing and feeding the horses and then were going to go have a brief look around the land to find any danger. 

"I must say I did not expect you and Legolas to court." Gandalf said with a smirk as he pointed his staff towards the wood and set it alight. How did he know?  Only Aragorn and Gimli were knew about your relationship. 

"I, um, yes. We are together." You fumbled as the wizard grinned at you.

"I am only playing the fool dear Y/N. The first time that boy saw you, he was smitten with you. Love is the purest form of emotion in my eyes. But onto more pressing matters, Aragorn has told me that you have been losing your memory of your own world, or rather the books about this earth, am I right?" He asked you as you put a pan over the fire.