11: The Mines

Golden rays of morning sunlight pooled around the hollow in the mountain where the Fellowship decided to take refuge the previous night, though it did nothing in the way of heating them up.

The chilly air whipped down their backs as they started the assent up the snow engulfed mountain. It was silent for the most part as they struggled up the slope, apart from odd remarks of hunger pangs or an extra slippery patch in the ice, none of them had the energy nor the strength to withstand a conversation, especially after the stunt Boromir pulled by taking up the ring. The further they climbed, the harder it was to breathe as they pushed out billowing clouds of icy breathe infront of their faces, furthering the difficulty of seeing properly as the icy ghusts stung their eyes. It was all a vicious cycle really. You were lagged at the back with Frodo and Aragorn in tow, infront of you, Boromir was heaving Merry and Pippin up and out of the snow every so often. You thought your legs were about to stop working all togeather since your atire was only made up of Jeans, a shirt and a hoodie, which did not protect you from the sub zero temperatures. Your body trembled with the cold as you stuck your hands deeper into your pockets, being carefull not to squish poor Cabbage, whom was having a great time! He was curled up in your pocket, eating what you asumed was the equivalent to fairy food that Gandalf had given him. What did concern you though was the odd little chirpy laughter that would emit from your pockets every so often, but you did not question it. The fellowship were now treading through the deepest snow yet, with added fear of the looming cliff face to the left of them, and the plumeting drop to their right. The further you went up this part of the slope, the more you recognised from the films. At the front you spotted Legolas running ahead with such ease it made you jelouse of the elf. I could do that if I moved a bit quicker. Maybe if I- Splat. You landed face first, gaining a mouthful of natural slushy.

"There is a foul voice on the air!" Legolas yelled at the lagging group behind him as Gandalf started ploughing through the white build up. The Fellowship fell into another brief silence as they listened to the wind peircicing their eardrums, but under it there were notes of some sort of words, deep rumblings from far way.

"Saruman!" Gandalf cried out. As if on que, the whole mountin started to grumble and shake throwing sprinkles of snow over the edge. Oh shiz balls! You thought as the group quickly congragated to the cliff face, as far away from the edge as possible. You held your breath in fear, bracing yourself for the impact of the frozen avalanche. You stuck your hand in your pocket just in time to cover Cabbage.Then it hit. An enormus weight crushed you, pushing you down to the ground as the oxegen was shoved out of your lungs. Your heart rate picked up as you struggled trying to get out of the snow drift. Your limbs burned from the cold and your eyes teared up. Reaching one arm up, you felt freedom. You pushed your beaten body up through the snow, breaking through the surface. Your lungs filled with fresh air as you heaved your chest, or as much as you could due to the snow still around your midsection, restricting breathing. Great, I will totally look great with melted snow in my hair. With aid from Boromir (Who had Merry on his back, and Pip clinging onto his arm in fright) you managed to get freed from the frozen water. After a few bitter minutes of pulling everyone out of the snow, the Fellowship regrouped. You folded your arms over your body as you shuddered. Legolas seemed to have noticed as he gave you a weak smile causing your face to blotch up. Again. He seemed to have caught onto you blushing and pointed at his cheeks with a grin, mocking you. That darned elf! It's kinda cute though. You thought as your E/C eyes shot a playful glare his way.

"We must turn back, or it will be the death of the Hobbits. Take the Gap of Rohan!" Boromir struggled behind you with Merry and Pippin in his arms. This time Aragorn chimed in rather sharply.

"I would not take the ring of power within one hundred leagues of your city!" The ranger edged cloder to You and Frodo as Gandalf gave a glance at Gimli as he riled himself up, attempting to make elongate his height.