22: The Case Of The Yellow Boots

The evening was about to set in again, banishing the little light that seldom managed to penetrate the thick woodland. Your unconscious body was still bloodied and bruised from the battle. Luckily you had not hit the jagged rocks at the bottom of the cliff, but rather you had plunged into the deep pale waters of the Anduin River which carried your body for miles, until the waters connected to the river of the Entwash. From then on you floated through valley of the Emyn Muil until you reached the banks of the Derndingle in which your body lay for almost half a day, before the large creaking figures had found you.

You begun to feel the cold breeze on your face as your eyes fluttered open. Pain racked your body, and your lungs burned like hell. Coughing and spluttering you sat up, clutching your damp head. You rubbed your eyes before looking around. You were sitting in a small circle of grass that was bordered by thick woods and looming trees that had thick gnarled branches that twisted and curled. The small amount of moonlight that peeked above you in that circle cast a silver light, illuminating the land around you. A crooked wooden bowl lay to your left, it was filled with crystal clear water that looked almost enchanting in the silver rays. You pushed your self up off the damp ground.

"Anyone there?" You called, knowing it was probably a bad idea to do. Who knows what lurks in the depths of the forest? Who knows what watches you silently? You got no reply, apart from the creaks that were emitted from trees that swayed softly in the cool breeze. 'Where am I?'

"Hey dol! Merry Dol! Ring a dong dillo!"

You jumped, snapping your head around frantically. Who said that? You could hear more singing echoing from the forest, and it seemed to be getting closer. You scrambled to the nearest tree and hid behind it. Did they know you were there? Your fingers dug into the bark as you held your breath, listening to the approaching song.

"Ring a dong! Hop along! Fal lal the willow! Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing? Hey! Come merry dol! Derry dol! and merry-o! Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!"

You gulped as you saw the silhouette of a person break through the edge of the opposite forestry. They were getting close...

"He has not spoken a word since." Aragorn dragged a whetstone down his swords edge before placing it on the ground and turning to the dwarf who was perched on the edge of a large boulder, puffing at his pipe.

"Give him time. He is in shock, we all are laddie, we all are." Gimli said, hopping of the rock to place a hand on the rangers shoulder. "It is a shame the lassy is gone, but we must focus on getting the other men and boys ready for tomorrow night. Durin knows if we will survive." Gimli patted Aragorn on the back.

"In my heart I know she was not telling me something. I do not talk about the business with Sauron being her father, but of something else. I do not know what though." Aragorn sighed and looked down over the wall of the great Helms Deep, surveying the land as if it would give him the answers to a question he did not even know.

"Come on, let's go to hall and try and find something to eat before it runs out." Gimli huffed and waddled past Aragorn.

"I will go look for Legolas, wherever he may be." Aragorn said, but Gimli had already stomped towards the food hall. 'Typical dwarf.' Aragorn thought. The ranger turned carried on down the concrete steps and made his way through the crowds of woman hushing their children, and the men who gulped down as much ale as humanly possible. The passages were tight and dark, smelling of horse dung and vomit. A black cloud could be seen rolling slowly towards Helms deep; a precursor of the war to come.

"My lord Aragorn," Eowyn called out after spotting the Dúnedain through a haze of people.

"Yes my lady?" Aragorn asked, he did not have time to speak to Eowyn, he needed to find his friend.