Chapter Three

03. Little Crazy Never Sane

Leon passed the King's chambers as Merlin, Gaius and Arthur exited the room, "Merlin! Gaius!" he calls making them turn to him as he rushes to them with Magdelena still in his arms crying into his shoulder, "I heard her in the hall screaming about someone being dead. Then she was saying that she didn't mean to kill someone and it was an accident. But no one was near us."

"I should have guessed," Gaius said since Uther was being affected there was the chance that Magdelena would be affected by what every Uther was going through as well, "Let's get her back to my chambers. I have something that will allow her to sleep."

"I can take her Leon," Arthur says his stomach was twisted at the sight of Magdelena curled into Leon's arms, crying on his shoulder, her arms tight around his neck.

"It is no trouble, Sire, I am sure you would rather stay with your father," Leon says not trying to be mean but not really understanding the Prince's need to remove her from the knight's arms. Merlin was trying not to smirk at Arthur's reaction to Magdelena in Leon's arms but Magdelena screaming broke his heart as it dropped to the floor.

"I didn't mean to!" she screams, "Please mother it was an accident I have no idea how it happened! Please don't make me leave Merlin." 

"Maggie," Merlin says walking forward making her turn her head to look at him with one eye, "I am right here okay? I won't leave you." he says and she nods slowly. 

"I didn't mean to kill him, Merlin," she says softly, "Don't tell mother you know. It was meant to be our secret." 

"I won't Maggie," he says patting her back.

"Don't tell the Prince," she says noting having seen him standing there, "You won't tell him will you?"

"No Maggie your secret is safe," Merlin says Gaius urges them to move as Leon carries her with Merlin next to him. Arthur watches them go his heart torn between his father and Magdelena he walks away from his father's chambers and toward his own in the opposite direction of Magdelena.

Gaius began to make a strong sleeping potion while Leon and Merlin helped her lay down on her bed. Baxton appeared and jumped on the bed snuggling her back as she lay curled into a ball shaking even with the blanket over her, "Merlin do you have any idea what she is talking about?"

"No Leon I don't," Merlin says, "I think the only two people who do are Magdelena and Hunith our mother," Merlin tells him making Leon nod his head slowly.

"Will you-" Leon pauses for a moment, "Would you inform me when she is well again?"

"Of course Leon," Merlin says before nodding his head as the knight took his leave. Gaius walked over mixing a small glass vile of dark brown liquid as he stopped in front of them. Magdelena looked up at him with a soft smile. 

"Maggie, will you drink this please?" Gaius asks and Magdelena reaches for it and sits up for a moment to drink the bottle before handing it back to Gaius and curling back into a ball. Not long after her eyes closed and her breathing evened out as she slept, "Merlin? Did Hunith ever tell you why Magdelena was sent here to Camelot?"

"No," Merlin says slightly confused, "Mother just told me Magdelena wanted to leave Erebor and go somewhere else. Have a fresh start since everyone was afraid of her."

"Do you remember a young boy who lived in Erebor, is name was Trevor," Gaius says and Merlin looks at Gaius sadly with a small nod, "Were you aware of how he died?"

"Mathew said that he was found in the wounds. There were no wounds but he was dead," Merlin says, "We never found out who did it. Everyone assumed it was a stranger that no one saw or a traveler who never entered the town."

"Merlin what I am going to tell you can never leave this room," he says and Merlin nods slightly staring at the old man curiously, "Travor was killed by Magdelena."

"That can't be true! Maggie would never hurt a person unless she had to!" Merlin says rather angry at the man that he would try to tell this lie to Merlin about his sister, "What is wrong with you Gaius?"

"I am not lying though I wish I were," Gaius says, "Magdelena enjoyed being on her own in the forest as you know. Trevor pretended to be her friend, but Trevor had heard about the things the townsfolk said about her and turned against her. He called her names, threw stones and branches at her but she refused to use her powers."

"Then how did she end up killing him?" Merlin asks staring over at his sister who was sound asleep on her bed.

"She wasn't in control of her powers, not like she is today," Gaius says, "So when Trevor threatened to torment you and cause trouble for Hunith Magdelena snapped and her powers did what she was thinking. She ran home and told Hunith who shut her down once she said that she had killed Trevor, she didn't even know what Trevor was planning on doing to you or Hunith. She demanded her to leave, and the next morning Magdelena set off to come here." 

"Why did my mother never tell me?" Merlin asks, "I mean Maggie is my sister I had the right to know."

"Hunith didn't want you to run off with her," Gaius said, "She didn't want you to go bad like she thought Magdelena had."

"Did mother tell you? Is that how you know what happened?" 

"No. Magdelena told me when she woke me up from a nightmare," he says, "She spent a lot of time in the forest in the few years before you came here. She was always by herself and refused to make any friends until you came and she began to change."

"Poor Maggie," Merlin says, Gaius places a hand on his shoulder with a soft smile as Merlin turns to look over at him.

"We should get some rest. I fear this is only the beginning of our troubles." Merlin bids Gaius goodnight before going into his back room while Gaius moves his cot a little closer to Magdelena's before he himself climbs under the covers and falls asleep.