Chapter Thirty

30. Plans Set in Motion

Merlin entered Uther's chambers where Magdelena was cleaning the place up as her temporary replacement had done s shit job. She paused as he closed the doors shocked to find her brother with an even goofier grin than his usual ones, "What are you up to?" she asks staring at him warily while pointing a finger at him.

"It is not what I am up to," he says his smile growing brighter, "Arthur has informed me that he wishes to spend the day with you."

"The Prince wishes to spend the day with me?" she raises an eyebrow at her brother trying to tell him it was a terrible idea.

"I thought you'd be happy, you curl up in his cloak at night," he says making her look at him embarrassed, "I have cleaned it enough to know."

"It isn't that simple, Merlin," she tells him trying to find something to do with her hands, "If anyone were to find out. If Uther were to find out. What if someone sees us?"

"I'll take you to meet him outside the city," he says proud of the effort they were going through. "Arthur's willing to take the risk...if you are. Come on Maggie, you always sacrifice your own happiness. I mean when Arthur found out you were bound to Uther."

She looks at him surprised, "How do you know about that?"

"Apparently magic users can't be affected by that spell," he says smilng at her softly, "I never told you I thought you would tell me when you were ready."

"Merlin," Magdelena says her hand going to cover her mouth as she thinks about it but looks very unsure.

"Magdelena, please. You should have seen how happy he is planning this entire thing out," Merlin says Magdelena's hand slowly leaves her mouth as she looks at Merlin, "Should I tell him you won't meet him?"

"No," she says softly, Merlin beams as he rushes to her picking her up and spinning her around making her chuckle, he places her down and looks at her.

"So you'll meet him?" he asks Magdelena who once again was thrown into another thoughtfullness quiet as she thought of everything that could go wrong.

"Guess it just goes to prove Prince Arthur can be a spoiled, arrogant brat," Merlin says while smirking down at her, making her laugh at his words knowing he was joking, "Come on Magdelena don't you like him?" 

"I can't say, Merlin," she says staring at him, "if I say no I hurt us both but saying yes causes so many more problems for everyone."

"You should have seen him with Gwaine told us he had run into you, he nearly tackled the man for answers, while he was telling us what happened. He likes you, Maggie," she looks over at him her eyes seemed to be glossed over, "Isn't that all that really matters?"

"I mean I guess, but Merlin this thing inside me-" 

"I don't think you will let it hurt him," Merlin says smiling at her with a reassuring smile, he turns to take his leave making sending her a small smile and a gesture to take a deep breath and let it out which she does. 

She was sitting at the wooden table as Uther entered to get to bed, she helped him silently grab his sleeping clothes as he went behind the curtain, "Uther?" she asks, "First I would like to apologize for how I reacted in the council meeting. It was very out of line, I have no idea what came over me."

"Well I am just glad you didn't actually kill him, I would have had to fake your death," Uther snaps slightly glad she was the who had brought it off.

"With that being said, would you be alright if I took the day off tomorrow, to gather myself and see if I can find some herbs that may help my temper?" she asks, "I know I was just gone for two months but I don't want what happened to happen again."

There was a pause as he came out and walked to his bed getting into the blankets looking at her for a moment, "I think would be a wise idea." 

"Thank you Uther," she says, "I shall see you in two days."

She blows out the candles and heads to her own chambers, Merlin was smiling jumping on his feet as he saw her enter, she shook her head at him, "Did you get the day off?"

"Yes," she says, "Uther thinks I am trying to find herbs to keep my temper in check so the council meeting doesn't happen again."

"What happened in the council chambers?" he asks slightly confused.

"There was a voice in my head from it, and I spilled wine on a member her pushed me down and I threatened him with a sword," she says.

Flinching as Gaius adds, "His own sword," Gaius looked between the two, "What is going on you two? Why are you lying to Uther about where you're going?"

"Arthur and her to spend the day together tomorrow!" Merlin says jumping like a child getting sweets from the market Gaius looked at her she expects him to argue about, more so with recent council meeting mishap. But Gaius looked pleased, overjoyed by this news.

"I was wondering if that was why he left the meeting to go after you," Gaius says slightly smugly, "I was wondering if he still fancied you."

"You aren't going to object?" Merlin asks slightly shocked himself, he had his argument with Gaius planned for when his guardian fought him on letting Arthur and Magdelena spend the day together. 

Gaius shook his head, "This is a wonderful idea," there was a knock on the door stopping their conversation as Gwen peeks her head in and smile at them, "Gwen, what brings you here?"

"Merlin said that Maggie needed help picking out a dress for a thing," she says probably using the words he had used as he smiled bashfully at her words, "I thought I would come by tonight instead of early tomorrow morning."

"Please come in Gwen," Maggie says smiling at her, "I can't say more than its a date."

"Did Arthur finally buck up the courage to ask you?" Gwen asks shocking the three people in the room making her laugh a bit, "Please you can see it in his eyes and face when he looks at you."

"I guess it takes someone in love to see someone in love," Magdelena quips making Gwen blush as she looks at herself proudly, "Shall we?"