Chapter Eleven

11. Mistrials

Magdelena had wanted to go with Gwen and Merlin but she was summoned by Uther to report to his chambers. She arrived to find an angry Uther glaring at her as she entered, "You are hiding that sorcerer!" he snaps at her harshly, "That is why we are unable to find him! I demand you tell me!"

"I would never give my brother up to you," she says simply she can sense his next move and decides to make her own, "I, Magdelena, order you to not ask me where my brother is now or ever under the bond ask me to give up my brother." 

As the order set in his anger grew, "How dare you!" he snapped at her but she just held her stoic expression. 

"Would you not do the same for Arthur? Have you not done the same for him?" she asks making him fall quiet and his face softens as he looks at her. He goes to say something but a knight enters the room knocking only slightly. 

"Sire, Gaius has requested an audience with you immediately," the knight says and Uther nods, Magdelena takes a deep breath hoping he was back to his old self, that Merlin and Gwen had done it and Merlin was safe once more. Entering the great hall Uther sat and waited for him to enter, which he did not long after they had.

"Sire I would like to apologize for everything that has happened which was my doing," Gaius says, "I was under the influence of a goblin who had somehow possessed me."

"You mean to tell me it was you who was responsible for the er...baldness, the flatulence, the boils, and Arthur's donkey ears?" Uther asks making sure he had understood correctly.

"I fear I was, My Lord. Or at least the goblin was while I was possessed by it," Gaius tells him and Magdelena smiles knowing that Gaius was back.

"Magic has the power to corrupt even the most honourable of men," Uther says making Magdelena roll her eyes before going back to smiling at Gaius who smiled hesitantly at her. 

"Indeed," Gaius says, "Though, I must assure you that Merlin was entirely innocent." 

"Then he is pardoned," Uther says making Magdelena stand taller and smile brighter than she had before until the creature in the box begins to move around making noise as it struggles.

"May I suggest it is kept where no one will ever open it?" Gaius asks.

"I could kill him," she spits loud enough for the creature to hear making it stop moving around and making noise.

"See that it's placed in the vaults," he tells some knights that had been close by and Magdelena didn't notice till they had been spoken to, "Gaius...do you know who was responsible for releasing the goblin in the first place?"

"I'm afraid I've no idea, My Lord," Gaius says handing the knights the box as Magdelena continues to glare harshly at the box. Gaius is excused and Magdelena makes her way with Uther back to his chambers. 

"Thank you for pardoning Merlin," Magdelena says softly, "I know you didn't have to pardon him, and you could have just stuck with your original sentence."

"Well, Gaius said he was innocent I have to believe him," Uther says, "You may go I will be fine tonight. You go join Gaius and your brother in celebrations." She smiles placing a hand on Uther's shoulder allowing him to feel the gratitude she felt for his pardon before she raced from the corridor and began to make her way to the physician's chambers.

"Mags?" she stopped at the sound of the Prince's voice as she looked forward to seeing him standing a few feet from him with a nervous feeling coming from him, "About what happened, in my chambers."