Chapter Thirty-Seven

37. Truth Be Told

Leander and Mahoney were speaking with one of the shop keepers when a wagon rolled into the town. The people dropped everything and ran to the cart, the kids cheering at the sight of the middle-aged man. She watched the man climb from his wagon, his robes were of fine make, but seemed to have some sort of magic coming from it. Uther sent them here to confirm that magic was being used in the small town. 

"Please Master Mart will you do some magic for us?" the girl says she feels Leon tense and places a hand on his shoulder turning to him with a soft smile. He turned to her with a panicked look in his eyes but she does her best to calm him.

"Who are these strangers?" he asks staring at the two of them as Magdelena turns to him with a bright smile. 

"Please to meet you in person Master Mart, I have heard of your tricks and travels but never had the pleasure of seeing them," Magdelena says, "How rude of me I am Mahoney and this is my husband Leander."

"I have not seen gypsies this close to Camelot for some time," he says she can hear the suspicion seeming from his tone.

She raises an eyebrow at him, "Are you telling me you do not believe us to be gypsies, Master Mart?" 

He looks at her, "Only a fool would come this close to the white stone city with magic," her smile turns to a smug smirk.

"A fool would head toward the white city we are heading away from it," she says Master Mart's grim look turns into a large smile as he pats them both on their shoulders. He lets out a hearty laugh as she chuckles shaking her head at Leon's confused face. 

"You wear no rings," Mart says motioning to their empty fingers Leon looks down at his hand not even thinking about them pretending to be married but wearing no rings.

"We were robbed not long ago and with them, the bandits took our rings," she says sadly Leon looked at her almost believing her that their wedding rings had been stolen. He quickly reacted to his 'wives' sadness by pulling her into a tight hug.

"It is alright Mahoney, we can find replacements," he says softly into her ear making her snuggle into his chest more. 

Mart looked at the two, "I am sorry for your lose," he says bowing his head down but slightly tilted, "Do you two plan to perform for these people?"

"We were thinking of it but we would hate to take over your town," Magdelena says pulling out of Leon's arms but stayed holding his hand, "They seem to know you well."

"Mahoney! We have almost found all of your magic stones!" a child calls out, "You said you were going to do a small one!" the kids began to cry out in sadness that they had done all the work of finding her stones.

"It seems the children have spoken," Mart says laughing his hearty laugh once more, "Besides I would love to see what you have planned."

"Our feelings for yours as well," Leon says making Magdelena smile slightly, "If you would allow us to watch."

"Of course everyone is welcome!" Mart says, "Where are you two stay if I may ask?"

"That clearing over there in the forest," Leon motions in the general direction of their camp, "We set up a small camp with the supplies we were able to spare."

"Speaking of which we better see what we can find for our show and begin to put a small show together," Magdelena says nothing more as she drags Leon toward the forest that wasn't close to their tent, which they turned once they were far away that no one can see them as they had to their camp.

"The King sent us here to confirm the use of magic!" Leon says rather proudly, "After his show, we have all the proof we need." 

"Come on Leon you can't actually be thinking about turning him in can you?" she stares at him, "He doesn't use his magic to hurt people, he uses it to entertain make a living."

"Magic is against the law!" Leon snaps almost regretting his words at her broken eyes as she looks at him.

"If Only hE knEw whAt hIs kIng Is UsIng mAgIc. And hAs bEEn fOr mOrE thAn A yEAr," his voice made didn't better her mood but she just ignored his comment.

"Are you saying if I had magic you would kill me?" she asks staring at him, "I haven't hurt you, I haven't threatened the Prince. Would you kill me, Leon?"

"I-I don't know," he says staring at her, they stayed in silence for a few moments before she shook her head and began to look through the few things they had. 

"You can do sword tricks," she says, "I can do tricks on my horse, there are the magic stones. Can you dance?"

"I mean yes, but I haven't in a while," he says and she nods her head muttering that was an option before trying to think of other things they could do, "What about singing?"

"I didn't know you could sing Leon," she says smirking at him while he gave her a look making her chuckle, "If it comes to that I guess I could."

As she continued to rifle through things he looked at her, "I couldn't kill you," he says bring her actions to a stop, "I know if I had magic you would help me hide it from Uther." She smiles over her shoulder bringing up a sword he had never seen before. 

"You better start practicing your tricks," she says, "I will do some horse tricks on Gilthunder then you can do your sword tricks. Followed by the magic stones and then if they want more I guess I can sing." 

"You aren't going to make me dance?" he asks making her chuckle, "I feel as though I should be thanking you."

"Well don't thank me yet, you still need to learn some entertaining sword tricks," she says motioning him away from their things with the sword she had pulled up. 

"Maggie I don't know any special tricks," he says staring at her worried making her laugh at him, "I don't have time to learn any! Or anyone to teach me any!"

She chuckles a bit placing a hand on his shoulder, "How about a story instead?" she asks staring at him and he looks at her a little relieved, "Though I wish you told me you don't know any tricks before I planned the entire show."

"What story?" he asks and she looks at him, "That is why you wanted me to tell you sooner. You have no idea which story to tell."

"There are just so many good ones. I could no sooner pick a star from the heavens," she says staring at him, "Any ideas? Do you have a favorite?"

Leon stared at her for a moment before looking away and trying to think about the stories he had been told, "Why not let the crowd pick one?"

Her eyes widen in shock as her mouth parts before she breaks into a large grin at him, "You are a bloody genius!" she says, "We don't have to think too much about the story cause they have to think of one!"