Chapter Nineteen

19. Bittersweet Goodbyes

Magdelena stared the small satchel she had packed which held the medical supplies given to her by Gaius. She now wore brown leather pants with some simple designs above the knee on the thigh, through her belt loops was a black leather belt which held a red cover which hides her left leg where a simple sword with a brown leather hilt and a golden circle with the mark of death etched into the fine metal, hung well hidden under the red fabric.

She wore a slightly puffed sleeved white shirt which tightened above her elbows with a black corset which just was under her chest on her ribs. A black leather pouch hung on her right thigh with straps hung low around her hips with some things hidden inside it. Two brown leather straps one going under her right arm and the other over her left meeting in a buckle which she placed on her side allowing easy access to the smaller sword on her back. 

Throwing her black hooded cloak around her shoulders she grabbed the small satchel and threw it over her shoulder. Merlin came in and looked her slightly taken back, her long hair was pulled back with twine out of her face but still flowing free, "Merlin I was hoping to catch you before I set off," she says smiling at him as she pulls him into a hug. He holds on to her tightly as he kisses her head. 

"Please come home safely Maggie," he says with a serious tone, "Please be careful, and try not to go looking for trouble." 

"I am not the one who looks for trouble brother," she says nudging him playfully making him smile at her, "While I know you are meant to look after Arthur please try to look after youself and Gaius as well. I would hate to return to find you dead or starved." 

"You should be more concerned with yourself," Merlin tells her.

"I will send Baxton with reports as often as I can spare him," she says hugging her brother once more before moving on. She had already said goodbye to Gaius who had hugged her tightly kissed her cheek helped her collected the medical supplies before hurrying off to some undisclosed place, "I will return Merlin, I can promise you that." 

She rushes from the door and makes her way to the Prince's chambers, he was probably waiting for his servant to ready him. She knocked on the door before entering seeing the Prince at his table reading some papers, he looked up and smiled at the sight of her before his smile fell at her attire and the sword on her waist.

"You truly expect to run into trouble?" he says standing from his seat and stepping to the side of his desk as she stood not far from the table which stood in front of the door, "Please promise me to be safe."

"I can only be as safe as I am able to be depending on where my journey takes me," she says, "I am but a slave to the river."

"Yes well," he says clearing his throat taking a few steps toward her, "I wish to give you something if you would accept it."

"I guess that depends on what it is," she says staring at the Prince carefully he walked to his cupboard and opened it before pulling out a cloak of Pendragon red he looked a bit bashful but held it out to her, "You wish to give me one of your cloaks?" 

She smiles pulling off her black cloak revealing the sword on her back as she places his cloak which had a hood sewn onto it making her smile at it as the warm expensive fabric went over  her shoulders, "I can not leave you without one, so please take mine," she holds out the black one and he takes it smiling at the warmth that it had from her wearing it already, "Thank you, Prince Arthur, I shall wear your gift with pride." 

"Mags," he says looking at the door for a moment he grabs her and brings her into a tight hug, one which spoke words she wasn't sure she liked coming from him, "Please come back to me."

Her arms slowly raised and wrapped around him, she felt his muscles through the red tunic he wore, he smelt of sweat but also of the forest an earthy smell which calmed her nerves slightly, "I will return Arthur, I promise." 

"How can you make such a promise?" he asks, "You are unsure where you are going and unsure how long it will take!" 

"Leon sure has a big mouth," she says with humor pulling away from Arthur who grasps her shoulders with a harsh grip.

"This is not funny Magdelena," he snaps, "You are making a promise you can't keep." 

She smiles at Arthur her hands going over his and removing them from her shoulders, "You will see me again Prince Arthur," she says, "I shall contact Merlin when I can and if I can. If you so wish you may ask him for updates. Now I best get going."

"It is the middle of the night!" he says, "You can't leave in the middle of the night!"

"I find no better time to leave then now," she says, "Do me a favor and watch out for Merlin." She stares at him for a moment longer before she slinks out the door and heads toward the stables arriving to find Baxton outside Gilthunder's stall sitting waiting. 

'Young Maggie you look ready for battle,' he says making her chuckle, 'You expect trouble.'

"I expect everthing which keeps me alive," she tells him leading him from the stall before jumping on his back, "I think it best to stay on the ground this quest. I am unsure what we will encounter on the road."

'I understand fully Maggie,' he says making her pat his neck as they take off as Baxton follows by their side. They walked through the lower town and slowly out of the gates into the farming lands, and to the forest where she looked around. 

"How do we find this crystal Gilthunder?" she asks her horse who looks from side to side before coming to a stop.

'It is only a rumor but the crystal is thought to be in the Forgotten Lands,' he tells her making her think of the maps she has looked at from over Uther's shoulder, 'We could always head in that direction.'

"Sounds like a plan Gilthunder," she says before looking down at Baxton, "You ready Baxton?" With his two barks, she nudges Gilthunder forward and into a run while Baxton takes off staying at the horse's side.