Chapter Fifteen

15. Gwaine's Return

Merlin was helping Arthur prepare for the melee putting on his armor and making sure all the pieces were here, "You know those moments when I tell you something isn't a good idea?"

Arthur replies rather smug, "And then I ignore you, yeah." 

"And then I'm proved right?" Merlin says though it sounded like a question it was more like a statement.

"Merlin, your concern for my wellbeing is touching," Arthur says rather humorously knowing his servant was a rather worry some person.

"I'm serious. I think you should withdraw," Merlin says flat out deciding to just say it quick and tell him what he thought was best for the Prince.

"Look, I know you think the mêlée is some kind of...stupid game, but it's more than that," Arthur says sounding somber as he spoke, "It's about proving to the people that I'm fit to lead them." 

Merlin sounded defeated he knew that Arthur would never withdraw from a challenge, "I know," Merlin hands him the dull sword, "Just be careful. Magdelena angry is not something that anyone wants to see."

"What are you implying Merlin?" Arthur asks pausing at the tent flaps which were the door, Merlin says nothing but pushes Arthur out so he wasn't late. Arthur demanding an answer that his servant seems adamant not to share.

The melee started not long after that, Magdelena watched from the other side of the entry, while Merlin and Gaius watched from the other side. They were whispering to each other but she didn't mind not being included she watched the melee continue. Arthur was easy to spot he was one of the best out there.

It was two against one and Magdelena could feel that the two people fighting against Arthur were using magic and wanted him dead. She watched a man who she swore was familiar, and as he disarmed one of the other knights taking his sword she knew who it was. She smiled widely as they remove their helmets revealing the Prince and Gwaine.

"Guards! Seize him!" Uther yells Magdelena runs forward she can feel Gaius attempt to grab her but fails as she runs to stand in front of him with a harsh glare at Uther.

"He just saved the Prince's life! You are really going to kill him!?" she snaps at the King who sends her a harsh glare as they have a small stare off until it interrupted by Gwaine grabbing her and pulling her behind him. 

"I knew the price from coming here," he says softly, "I will willingly pay it."

"I can't let that happen Gwaine," she says the Prince not far off can hear their conversation and grows slightly angry at their interactions. 

"Guards seize them both!" Uther yells four knights enter two grabbing Magdelena and the other two grabbing Gwaine, "Excort him with Gaius to his chambers so he may healed before hung. Release her I will deal with her incompetence later!" 

Magdelena decided to stay in town she knew Gwaine would be forced to leave, there was no question. Arthur wouldn't let him die after he had saved his life not only once but twice. She was walking down the street when she felt an arm go around her shoulder and she looked out of the corner of her eye to see Gwaine, "Greetings and I guess goodbye," she says stopping to turn so his hand was no longer around her but resting on her shoulder, "I am glad you are not dead."

"I hope I can say the same about you," he says with a scolding look, "You should not have stood up to the king like that."

"He won't kill me. I am the best servant he has ever had it would kill him," she says chuckling a bit at her joke, "I expect to see you again. Merlin I am sure does too, you two have grown rather close with each other."

"He is unlike any person I have met before," Gwaine says, "I am lucky to have him as my friend."

"I am sure he feels the same way," she says, "Being saved by your sister does get old after the first few times." 

They both laugh a bit, "If your romance with the Prince doesn't work out I hope you will consider me a second option."

"I am afraid that no romance will work out for me," she says nudging him slightly, "One-day Gwaine you will find a woman worthy of you."

"Are you saying you're not worthy?" Gwaine asks.

"You barely know me," she says she pecks his cheek, "Stay safe Gwaine, I have a feeling you will be needed again in the future." 

She makes her way back to her brother and Gaius entering the chambers to see Merlin go from smiling to a smug smirk too quick for her liking. She stares at him questioningly as she enters the chambers slowly stopping not far from the door ready to run depending on what Merlin had up his sleeve, "Why are you smirking?"

"I trust you got to say goodbye to Gwaine," Merlin says making her eyes narrow in a calculating glare.

"I saw him on his way out," she says carefully walking into the conversation Merlin had obviously prepared for before her return, "Why is this important?"

"I was with Arthur when you were saying your goodbye," Merlin says her arms crossing her chest and she looks defensive, worried where this conversation was going.

"And?"

"And Arthur was not pleased with how friendly you were with Gwaine," Merlin says making her close her eyes and rub the bridge of her nose, "Dare I say jealous."

"Merlin you really should play with your words. You confuse people," she says, "Second I think you may have just been seeing and hearing things that you wanted to see."

"Maggie come on!" Merlin says making her chuckle shaking her head at him.

She walks to Merlin placing a hand on his shoulder, "You really must stop searching out these feelings you seem to see between me and the Prince," she says gently, "I understand it is written in the stars - so to speak - but it will happen in its own time if it is really meant to be. No amount of clever wordplay or whispered secrets will get it here any faster."

"I know that your right but you should see what I see with Arthur," Merlin says rubbing the back of his neck shyly. She smiles at her brother ruffling his hair a bit before walking to her bed where she takes a seat and pulls out a book reading, hiding her smile as she thought of what Merlin had said, before shaking her head and focusing on her book.