Chapter Nine

09. Damn You Uther

Magdelena was shocked to enter the chambers late at night and see no sign of Gaius, she knew right there something was wrong. She sat on her bed watching the door as the sun began to rise and Merlin came from his chambers as Gaius entered and belched, she could smell the ale on him from her seat, "Oof, you look terrible. How much did you drink last night?" Merlin asks Magdelena stays silent listening to their conversation.

"You don't look so good yourself. What's your excuse?" he asks while it was the voice of Gaius she knew that Gaius would never be that rude, not to Merlin not to anyone.

"What?"

"Shh. Too much talking," he says scrunching his face in pain, "I have a head like the inside of a drum, and a mouth like a badger's armpit."

"Ugh, badger's armpit," Merlin sounded slightly disgusted and curious at his analogy.

"Make yourself useful. Go to the market and fetch my breakfast," Merlin doesn't move and the man whom Magdelena refused to call Gaius, "Away! Go!" Merlin exited and she gave it a moment more watching him.

"Who are you?" she says with a hard glare at him, "I know you are not Gaius, tell me who you are vermin."

"What are you talking about I am Gaius," he says making her glare harden as she stands.

"You even think of hurting Gaius I will kill you," she hisses her glare and venomous tone made a shiver run down the creature inside Gaius's spine as she walked past him and out of the chambers to go tend to Uther who was wearing a hat which had been brought for him to hide under while he went to meetings. She collected his breakfast while he dressed, he gave her a few chores to do before sending her on her way.

She was set to wash some clothes when the water poured over her and the clothes, she had sensed the presence of the creature which she was assuming was the goblin before it happened then he ran off before she had the chance to retaliate. She quickly hung the clothes out to dry and decided against changing her clothes as to not draw suspicion from the goblin inside Gaius that she was something more than just a human.

She was at the main chambers of the council when she saw a stern Arthur walking toward her but not noticing her, as he came closer she could see the knights behind him. Held in their arms was Merlin who looked both frightened and confused, "Merlin!" she cried going to grab him but Arthur stopped her from moving with an arm around her stomach.

"He is under arrest Gaius has claimed him a sorcerer," Arthur tells her still keeping her from reaching her brother.

"Has he?" she said stepped from his arms losing the slight warmth they brought her before she throws open the doors to the council chambers to see Gaius and Uther she sends glares that made the goblin shiver under her harsh glare. Behind her, Arthur leads the knights and Merlin who was presented before the King while Magdelena stood next to her brother the knights keeping her far away from him so she couldn't touch him.

"The accused Sire," Arthur says Magdelena clenched her fists as she pulls her gaze from the Goblin to Uther.

"Is it true? You were responsible for the afflictions that I and other members of the court have suffered?" Uther asks staring at the boy with a harsh glare, but not as harsh as the one he was receiving.

"What? No." Merlin says confused by everything that was happening.

"Gaius." 

"I found this in your room. It's a book of spells and enchantments," Gaius says stepping forwards holding a book of magic that Magdelena knew for a fact didn't belong to Merlin or herself.