Chapter Fourteen

14. A Lesson of Destiny

Magdelena was on her way back to the chambers when she ran into someone looking up she saw Gwaine staring rather shocked, "I am sorry you have to leave," she says placing a hand on his shoulder, "You did a brave thing."

"Hell of a lot of good it did me," Gwaine says with a bit of humor but not his normal amount, he was sad about leaving Camelot. Perhaps even leaving Merlin who had grown closer in the few days he had been there.

"I know Uther, and the Prince is in no way like him," Magdelena says hoping to cheer him up even a little, " You saved his life, I'm sure one day he'll repay you."

"He tried to speak up for me," Gwaine says Magdelena was in the room but it was good to hear that Gwaine noticed the Prince trying to allow him to stay here.

"Prince Arthur's fair. He's loyal. He'll be a great king. I know he will."

"Clearly," Gwaine says with a smug undertone, "If he makes everyone feel the way that you do. At least now I know why you turned me down." 

"It's not just me that says that," Magdelena tells him trying to get him to let it go, not that should would admit that she has feelings for the Prince.

"No, I'm sure it isn't. Let's hope he lives that long," Gwaine says he grabs her hand from his shoulder and places a small kiss on it making her smile at him with an almost scolding look. He goes to get down the stairs but she grabbed his hand.

"Gwaine," she says softly, "I am sure that one day our paths will cross once more. Until that happens I wish to give you this." She raises on her toes and kisses his cheek, "You saved my brother when I wasn't there and I am eternally grateful. Thank you."

Gwaine smiles at her before walking down the stairs, she watches him until he turned the corner leaving the small narrow stairway and into the corridors beyond. Once she could no longer see him she entered the chambers to see a worried Merlin and Gaius was trying to help him, but he also seemed a bit worried.

"Merlin are you alight?" she asks they both are startled for a moment, "You look like something is wrong. Besides the Prince's life being threatened."

"Merlin here has decided that he will use magic in front of the entire kingdom and the King!" Gaius says slightly outraged by the idea, it was really risky but nothing that Merlin hadn't done before.

"He will just have to be careful. Besides it's not like he hasn't done this before," Magdelena says walking over to her brother, throwing an arm around his shoulder, "Besides I can help distract Uther. Not that he will need much, he will be too busy watching the melee to really notice anything around him."

Magdelena stared at him with a smile when the door opened and Uther walked looking a bit frantic, "I have lost that sword that I am meant to give to Arthur," he says not bothering with a greeting, "Tell me you know where it is!"

Magdelena walks to her small area and from under her bed pulls a wrapped cloth, which when opened shows an older looking blade, "It has been dulled as you asked." 

"Wonderful, follow me!" he says turning to leave the chambers, Magdelena rolls her eyes at him but follows nonetheless, through the halls to the chambers of the Prince. Uther enters slowly making sure his son was decent before bringing in a female servant, not that it really mattered, Magdelena didn't seem like someone who could have feelings for someone, let alone feel something for a Prince, "Ah. I trust you're ready for the challenge?"

"Yes, Father," Arthur says smiling slightly at the sight of Magdelena behind his father looking rather annoyed that she was forced to come to the chambers to carry the sword.

"I came to bring you this," Uther says motioning Magdelena to present it to him, "I won my first mêlée with this blade. The edge has been dulled, it's perfectly safe." She hands him the sword with a small bow showing some respect in front fo the King. 

"All of Camelot is eager for a victory today, Arthur. I know you won't let me down." Uther motions Magdelena to follow him, "Come Magdelena I have to get ready."

"Come Magdelena I must change my clothes for the fifth time this day," she mumbles as she walks away, Arthur lets out a small laugh hiding it well when Uther turned to look at him to see what was so funny. Once they were out of the chambers and a bit away from the doors Uther decided to speak.

"This is a big moment for Camelot but also for Arthur," Uther says seriousness etched into his face and dripped from his tone, "It is a chance to prove himself to the kingdom that he is fit to rule."

"I think the people already think that Uther," she says, "He has risked himself time and time again for the better of Camelot. Besides he is destined to be the greatest king Camelot has ever seen."

"Destiny can only do so much," Uther says bitterly, "I wasn't meant to be a king but here I am."

"You were," she says, "If you weren't a king, Arthur wouldn't be a prince or the future king. So him being destined to be a king means you too were destined to be king. It is pretty simple when you think about it." 

His face contorts in slight anger, "I won't need you during the melee you may stay here or join Gaius." He says before rushing off making her chuckle at how easy he is to annoy. She makes her way toward Gaius who was just leaving the chambers heading toward the arena with his bags of medicine and herbs. 

"Uther doesn't want me near him at the moment so I thought I could help you if anyone gets injured," she says and he nods a bit, "Don't worry I can still distract Uther away from him." They make their way to the arena which was already packed with people, sitting and chatting waiting for the event to begin. Excitement radiated off the crowds in large waves, some were nervous worried about their Prince.