Chapter Forty-Seven

47. The Druids

Merlin and Arthur rode on Gilthunder's back as he raced through the forest at full speed, not stopping for anything until he arrived at a twisted tree. Like water sliding down his body, Gilthunder's horn and wings came into view, shocking Merlin and Arthur, "An Alicorn," Merlin whispers in awe, Arthur stared at him but he delved no deeper into the subject. A white light came from Gilthunder's horn and the tree began to untwist, revealing the magical land beyond. 

As Gilthunder stepped through the portal, Merlin and Arthur were shocked at the feeling, Merlin felt a surge of magic as he entered the world, while Arthur felt a warmth spread over him comforting him. Gilthunder trotted all the way to a lake, "Please get off my back," he says both doing as asked, he walked forward standing in the water, before pressing his horn into the water.

Not long after a beautiful woman with hair like no other appeared, a crown of seashells and animals on her brow, a tail of a fish seen trailing in the water behind her, "What is so urgent Gilthunder that you felt the need to interrupt our feast?" 

"It is Primera," he says the woman looked at the horse before looking into the water, "I sense you are aware of what had happened."

"I hoped it was nothing more than a nightmare," she says sadly staring at the horse once more, "I fear the only one strong enough to beat him is the Goddess. She went out not long ago but hasn't returned." 

"She has golden hair, doesn't she? With an aura of light, a calming voice, and rides a white horse," Arthur says shocking them all, "I saw her in our realm, she helped Maggie when she was affected by the Mandrake root."

"She must be stuck in that realm then," the mermaid says softly, "you will have a hard time finding her. She usually only appears to future queens, you are lucky to have seen her Prince Arthur."

"Is there any way to find her?" Merlin asks her eyes grew wide at the sight of Merlin who was slightly taken back by her reaction.

She snapped from her dazed look after a moment, "Come to me Merlin," she says holding out her hand, Merlin goes to step forward but is stopped by Arthur, "I mean him no harm young prince."

Arthur moves his arm as Merlin wades into the water grabbing the mermaid's hand as she leads him deeper into the lake before they both plunge disappearing from view, Arthur rushes forward but Gilthunder blocks his approach to the lake, "I promise Merlin will be fine."

The sky began to darken, Arthur began to pace by the shore waiting for Merlin to return, suddenly there was a commotion and Merlin broke the surface gasping for air. Arthur ran forward and dragged him onto the shore, "Good luck young prince, and good luck Merlin."

Gilthunder allowed them back on his back before making his way back to the portal they had come through. As they went through they realized it was dark out, as if night had fallen and was already almost over, "Time works differently," is all Gilthunder says before his glamour returns to him and he was once more just a horse, "Now Merlin did the Queen tell you where the Goddess is?"

"Not exactly," Merlin says rubbing the back of his neck, "She told me someone wh might be able to help but you're not going to like it, Arthur."

"Why wouldn't I like it?" Arthur asks looking at his servant.

"The Druids might know where she can be found, she often helps them," Merlin explains they fall silent for a few moments, Gilthunder having paused his slow walk, while Merlin stares at Arthur who seemed to be having an internal battle with himself.

He takes a deep breath before speaking, "If it means we get Magdelena back, then lead the way," Merlin looks down at Gilthunder telling him the directions before he took off in a fast run Merlin and Arthur gripping to the horse, Merlin forced to grab Arthur's tunic to keep from falling off. 

After a moment they stopped in a clearing, Gilthunder stopped running and allowed them to jump off his back, Merlin and Arthur made their way forward, following Merlin for the first time, with Gilthunder taking up the back, 'Emrys,' a voice says in Merlin's head making him pause looking around for a moment before continuing, 'We know why you have come, we welcome you and Prince Arthur.' 

The dense foliage stops showing a camp set up, with a large fire in the middle people cooking over it, while kids ran around playing some even using magic. Everyone paused looking at the newcomers for a moment before going back to what they were doing, a man walked up smiling at the three of them, "Welcome," he says, "Though we regret the circumstances of your visit."

"You know why we have come?" Arthur asks staring at the man who nodded his head his smile falling from his face, "Do you know where the Goddess is then?"

"I fear you missed her by a day," the older man says sadly, "But she seemed to have anticipated your arrival as she gave us a message to give to you."

"What is it?" Arthur asks looking at the man his eyes begging him to hurry up. 

"She said that you three are powerful enough to defeat the darkness that has escaped if you have the right tools," he explains, "she said Merlin will know what to do, and Arthur and Magdelena already have what they need but it must be acknowledged by both of them to work." 

"Is that all?" Merlin asks staring at Arthur who was trying to figure out what both of them had that could work. 

"I fear that was all," the Druid says, "Please won't you join us for supper? We have more than enough for you." Merlin was going to decline aware of how Arthur probably felt about magic and the Druids but was shocked as Arthur answered instead.

"We would be honored," Arthur says earning a smile from the man who leads them to the fire, Arthur took a seat listening to the conversation some of the elders were having about moving and migration of the other groups of Druids, he was even entered into the conversation as they asked him questions about Camelot. 

Merlin meanwhile was dragged away by the children who were playing with their magic making Merlin smile at the sight of the fearlessness of their gifts. Gilthunder was lead to some water and fruits that had been set out for him to enjoy which he thanked them for not shocking either of them. 

By the time Merlin had been called over by Arthur, the Prince was shocked to find Merlin with a flower crown, and flowers all over him sticking to his clothes as he wore a goofy grin on his face as he took a seat, "I see the children wished to show you their newly acquired magical ability." 

"They are quite good at it," Merlin says smiling taking a plate of the meal that was offered to him, "I can't seem to get the flowers off of me." The man chuckles holding up his hand toward Merlin.

"May I?" Merlin nodded Arthur's gut clenched as the man muttered some words and the flowers fell to his feet in a large pile of roses and sunflowers, with a few lilies. They were given a tent for the night while they accepted, Merlin and Arthur laid in their beds thinking about Camelot and Magdelena.

"What could she had been talking about. What do we both have?" Arthur mumbles to himself Merlin looks over at him before snorting, "What is it Merlin?"

"Come on Arthur isn't is obvious?" Merlin asks him which t wasn't since Arthur was still unsure about the answer, "Love. You both love each other, you both just have to confess it." 

"How can I confess to a puppet?" Arthur asks before he pops up from his bed with a proud smile on his face, "Merlin I solved it!" 

"Do tell," Merlin says rolling over to be on his side so he could look at Arthur without kinking his neck. 

"We get him to allow her out again!" Arthur says, "When we get there we go see him and get her back."