Chapter Twelve

12. A Gwaine Encounter

Magdelena was sitting reading on her bed when the door opened and in came Merlin with an unconscious man between him and Arthur as Gaius led them to the bed where Merlin slept. After a few moments, all three came back out after Merlin had to gather things for a wound, "You can have my bed until he is well," Gaius says and Merlin goes to argue.

"He can have mine, you need sleep as well Gaius," Magdelena says and all three turn to her, "I can stay in the room with him in case he wakes in the middle of the night or needs help in the middle of the night."

"We barely know this man and you are going to be in the room with him alone at night?" Arthur asks worried by this turn of events, "Perhaps he would be more comfortable in a guest chamber. Then everyone can stay in their area and bed."

"Your worry is appreciated, but not needed," she tells him with a small smile once the hesitate Arthur leaves Merlin and Gaius go to sleep while Magdelena enters the back room and sits on the floor with her back against the wall. Baxton who had been out wandering around had returned as the moon began to lower and decided to sit with her for a bit.

Magdelena was summoned to Uther who had asked her to go into town and make sure everything was ready for the melee which she had fully forgotten about and was now dreading. She was collecting a few things as well for Uther who had asked for some things like rings, some new shirts, and trousers as well as a dress to give to Morgana and a throwing dagger for Arthur.

She was making her way back when she noticed the man who was unconscious last night was walking toward her and stopped in front of her bringing her to a stop as well, "I believe this belongs to you." He holds out a small flower which must have been taken from the young girl who always carried flowers.

"I don't think so. It's not my color." Magdelena says feeling a bit uncomfortable with the man trying to hit on her. 

"Ah, well....let us see," she watches as his hand reaches out and puts the flower behind her ear in her hair.

"Do you have a whole bunch of those to hand out?" she asks staring at him with an incredulous look.

"No. Yours is the only one," he says showing his hand as she looks behind his ear before reaching out and pulling out a flower and putting it in his ear. 

"Seems you have been keeping things from me," she says with a small smile as he looks at her in slight awe.

"You are the one hiding things," he says, "Magic hands you seem to have."

"Don't say that too loud or I will be burnt," she says humorously knowing it wouldn't really happen, "Excuse me I should get going." She goes to walk past him but he steps into her way making her look at him with a narrowed eye.

"I'm Gwaine," he says holding out his hand which she shakes before walking a few steps but his hand quickly grabs her and pulls her back, causing her to almost drop the basket of things she was holding for Uthe, "You haven't told me your name. You look like a princess to me. So it's probably something like Sophia or...or Esmeralda. That's it. Princess Esmeralda."

Suddenly he drops into a bow causing people to look at her curiously, "Must you embarrass not only yourself but me as well?"

"Tell me your name and I shall rise," he says making her chuckle at his persistence. 

"It's Magdelena," she says staring at him with a small smile which wasn't fully amused but slightly annoyed as well.

"There. That wasn't so hard now, was it?" he asks making her shake her head at his attempts she begins to walk and he walks beside her, "Let me carry that. A princess shouldn't have to lump her purchases around." 

"I am no princess," she says holding tight to her basket.

"Ah, but you see...you are to me," he says making her chuckle a bit at him, "This isn't working, is it?"

"No, not really," she says with a small smile, "But I like that you tried and that you know when to give up." She takes the flower from her hair and hands it to him, "You'd better have this, in case someone else takes your fancy."

"I've only eyes for you," he says making her chuckle.

"I'm sure you do until the next pretty face crosses your eyesight," she says this time his smirked at her making her slightly confused.

His voice goes down to a whisper, "You will just have to wait and see that I do." 

She smiles at him shaking her head slightly, "I fear I have more important things to do than just watch you try to prove yourself a gentleman."

"You are much more than a pretty face," he says, "Whoever has caught your fancy is one lucky man."

"I fear no man has caught my fancy," she says, "Too much trouble I think."

"Perhaps I can change your views of us brutish men," he says making her chuckle. 

"I must get going nice to meet you Gwaine," Magdelena says before walking off back toward the courtyard to get to Uther's chambers with the gifts before anyone saw them or her with them. 

Later that night she entered the chambers just as Gaius was serving some soup for Merlin, who began to inhale his soup as if he hadn't eaten in years, "It's very hard to work out whether you are eating or inhaling that soup." Gaius's words make her snort at the sound.

"I haven't had anything all day," he says, "Sir Oswald had me at his beck and call." 

"How is he?" Gaius asks curiously.

"Awful. He treats me like dirt," Merlin continues to eat his soup quickly, probably going to have seconds.

"That doesn't sound like the young man I knew. He always struck me as a rather kind and thoughtful soul." Gaius says thinking back to previous visits from Sir Oswald.

"He must have changed."

"You must remember that not all masters are as good to their servants as Arthur," Merlin who had just taken a few nice size spoon fulls of soup spits it out covering Gaius's face in green pea soup. Magdelena laughs at the sight as Merlin looks a bit bashful, "Thank you, Merlin."

"Sorry."

Gwen's head peaks in from the doorway, "Merlin, I think you need to come with me." Magdelena elected to stay behind and wait for Merlin to return with Gwaine who seemed to be stuck at the tavern.