2.1 || The Prodigal Young Master

*** *** ***

*** *** ***

Great Southern Wei, Emperor Zhou's seventeenth year on the dragon throne.

A small group carrying a sedan stopped in front of the Yang's residence. The carriage was just enough to carry one adult and although it depicted an imperial household's emblem, it was built smaller than usual palanquins. The sedan was the type normally used to transport noble ladies.

Assisted by an accompanying maid, a young woman stepped out of the sedan. She looked no older than fourteen with smooth pale skin and carefully made-up face. She could certainly be considered as a beauty in this country, yet her expression was haughty and proud.

The Yang residence's front gate immediately opened wide to accept this tender-looking young lady.

"Ninth Princess," the Madame of the household, Ruan shi, personally greeted her politely, "We are very honored to have the Ninth Princess visiting our humble residence today. I shall let Wenbao know that you have come."

"Madame is too polite." Zhou Wenling smiled behind her silk handkerchief, to mask the disgust she was feeling as soon as she heard of Yang Wenbao's name.

"My visit today is precisely for Brother Wenbao. I am sure my envoy has let you know beforehand of my intention. I believe he has delivered my letter to you a few days ago. However, considering the Yang's contribution to our Great Wei, and the arrangement since our childhood, I thought I really should still visit Marquis Yang and Madame to settle this matter personally. Imperial Father has given his consent."

Ruan shi replied politely about how they were not worthy of such grand visit. However, Zhou Wenling missed the Madame's wan and troubled expression as she mentioned Yang Wenbao.

As the Ninth Princess, Zhou Wenling might not be considered to be the most important or favored Princess in the Imperial Palace. However, she was still an Imperial Princess, a young beautiful maiden well versed in womanly arts and virtue. In fact, she was quite popular amongst the noble young masters in the nation.

Yet, she could not enjoy that kind of attention, because she had been promised to Yang Wenbao ever since they were little children. As soon as she was born, the Empress asked for the Emperor to tie Zhou Wenling and the four-years-older Yang Wenbao in engagement. She was just a favored concubine's daughter, whereas the Empress was Yang Wenbao's late mother's maternal cousin. Thus the Emperor agreed to the Empress' request immediately.

Befitting of a woman who followed the current and lived on by succumbing to higher powers in the inner palace, her cheap mother even agreed to the Emperor's suggestion to use the same 'wen'(1) character in Zhou Wenling's name, to match Yang Wenbao's.

Zhou Wenling's status was not high enough to cause any dissatisfaction to the other officials who did not have the fortune to have an Imperial Princess marrying into their family. Yet, her status was just high enough to not offend the Yang's.