2.13 || The Prodigal Young Master

The rest of the rites was uneventful, except that Yang Wenbao felt that he would never be able to get rid of the incense smell from his body for the next week at the very least. After kowtowing towards the great Buddha for probably the hundredth time, and the head abbot placing his lit incenses in the biggest vase, it was pretty much done.

The head abbot was an old monk whose eyebrows were white and long. Even the corners of his eyes were hidden behind the flowing white hair. His face was kind and wrinkly, the six dots on his head had become somewhat distorted and blurry because of his aging complexion. After staying silent for a while, the old abbot nodded slowly in satisfaction,

"The Buddha has given his blessing."

Yang Wenbao, "How the heck do you know?"

As though the abbot could read his mind, the old man continued, "The smokes from Young Master Yang's incenses are the most dense, and they waft straight up, towards the heavens' direction. This way, this humble monk knows the gods have blessed Young Master Yang in his holy mission to give Great Wei glory."

Yang Wenbao, "...... ."

The incenses he lit had the thickest smoke... . Wasn't that because the incenses the top scholar had to light was twice as big as the other incenses? And there was no wind inside this hall, of course the smoke would waft upwards. He knew it, this whole ceremony was just a sham!

Yang Wenbao was going to stand after being prompted by the head-abbot when suddenly there was a young monk who had gone to the abbot's side, whispering something. The old abbot turned towards Yang Wenbao. Even behind the long white eyebrows, Yang Wenbao could feel the sharpness of the elder's gaze. Then the abbot bowed towards the Emperor,

"Your Majesty, truthfully, this lowly one has almost reached the end of my life. This one has a fortune to have chosen a suitable heir for Cloud Peak Temple, to be the head-abbot in the future after this one's passing."

The Emperor replied in interest, "Oh? Zhen did not know and believed that Zhen had not met this disciple you have just mentioned about. However, exalted abbot is still healthy and must not think about the afterlife yet. More over, exalted abbot has successfully blessed the top scholar today. Sure, other matters can be approached later?"

Yet, everyone knew the old abbot still had something to say. Despite what he had just said, the Emperor put quite an importance to Cloud Peak Temple, thus he waited for the abbot's acknowledgement. The head-abbot merely smiled and spoke further, as if he had not heard what the Emperor just said,

"This disciple of mine is a prodigy and seems to have been born with the heaven's blessing... ."

Yang Wenbao could not help but roll his eyes inwardly again. "What more shams is this old coot planning? So many people blessed by the heavens, huh? I wonder what YuLan and Lei are doing... have they managed to rectify whatever problem they had with their so-called in-laws?"

"This disciple of mine has talent in divination. He has foreseen the ... malicious attack on Your Majesty's entourage on the way to this temple, as well as the attack on Marquis Yang's family of the same nature."

Yang Wenbao immediately perked up and took interest. However, he still attributed the just-spoken words as lies. Claiming wisdom after everyone had been aware and the deed was done, was it not just pettiness? However, the Emperor was clearly intrigued.

"Then, Zhen presumes... this time as well, your disciple has something to say? Otherwise, exalted abbot would not have abruptly paused the ceremony."

The old abbot nodded, and whispered to the monk who had spoken to him before. The young monk walked towards the other side of the platform, where other abbots and disciple monks were sitting. He addressed one from the group, and the person stood.