2.2 || The Prodigal Young Master

Zhou Wenling and her two personal maids followed Ruan shi through the various courtyards and housing structures. The inner residences of the unmarried Yang male members were separated from the females, yet they soon saw two young maidens heading the same way.

One of them greeted Ruan shi, "Mother, are you heading to see Second Brother Bao and Eldest Brother Yuan?"

The maiden was attired in a green flowing skirt with a light yellow muslin short robe. The choice of color brightened her whole youthful appearance. Her hair was divided into two loose loops, hanging onto her right side, with the rest of her long tresses falling naturally towards her waist. This was Yang Xiqin(1), Marquis Yang's only daughter.

It was widely known that when Ruan shi was pregnant with Yang Xiqin, Ruan shi was deeply interested in musical performances. Even when she was giving birth, she had invited several performers to the Yang residence to conduct a small orchestra. Marquis Yang and the Old Madame turned a blind eye to this extravagance, considering none of the other concubines in the household managed to get pregnant. Although there was little doubt that Ruan shi was behind it, no one had ever found out that she was the culprit behind the seemingly barren wombs of those concubines.

Before Ruan shi could reply to Yang Xiqin's question, the latter had already directed her focus towards Zhou Wenling. Her bright almond shaped eyes widened, giving more light to her already adorable expression, "Eh? Isn't this the Ninth Princess?"

Zhou Wenling nodded lightly to acknowledge the younger girl. However, she never thought that Yang Xiqin would not give her face. Didn't Yang Xiqin used to like to chat with Zhou Wenling years ago? Especially when the two of them joined forces in ridiculing Yang Wenbao... .

"Ah... the toad who wants to be with the swan.... ." Yang Xiqin's smile was light but her lips were curled in derision. She was clearly mocking Zhou Wenling!

Zhou Wenling's face darkened. Yang Wenbao was too much! It seemed that the whole residence had read her letter! But who could blame her for being blunt? Yang Wenbao was a fat ugly toad that wanted Zhou Wenling, the swan, after all! Didn't Yang Xiqin used to agree with her as well?

"Ninth sister has traveled a long way," Yang Xiqin's companion greeted her, bringing Zhou Wenling's thoughts to a halt. Zhou Wenling gathered her wits and curtseyed instead.

The maiden who had called her had eyes limpid like the purest of spring water, complexion as translucent and smooth as refined alabaster, hair as dark as the night, voice like a young oriole. This was Zhou Yunzhu, the Fourth Princess, the darling of Great Wei.

If those young masters and poets in the capital city, who had composed songs and said praises about Zhou Wenling's beauty, were to see Zhou Yunzhu, every single one of those males would immediately forget about Zhou Wenling's existence.

Zhou Yunzhen and Zhou Yunzhu(2) - the Fifth Prince, and the Fourth Princess respectively - had been granted a fiefdom by the Emperor for their sixteenth birthday last year. The pair of twins were dearly loved by the Emperor and even the Empress, who was not even their birth mother. Their appearance and their conduct were flawless and faultless, that the Emperor would always call them his precious 'pearl'.

The fiefdom granted to the both of them was in this town of Moqu(2), where the Yang clan also resided. Moqu was in relatively close proximity to the capital, and the Imperial Academy was also located at the outskirt of the town. Hence, the name was apt - most of the nations' scholars were birthed in Moqu, the town of literature and song.

Zhou Wenling cursed inside her heart. She never knew that the twins and the Yang clan were in such a close relationship that they also warranted a visit towards this residence. And judging from the informal, yet still elegant, attire Zhou Yunzhu was wearing, it seemed that this was not her first visit in a while. What's more, Zhou Yunzhu and Yang Xiqin were acting way too familiar with each other, as if they were sisters.