2.23 || The Prodigal Young Master

Because he traveled solo, he did not need to hide his ability. Even without the Sky Dragon, Yang Wenbao's physique was stronger than the residents of this world. In Tian Lei's and YuLan's words, it's part of the heavens' blessings because Yang Wenbao had to do the dirty work cleaning up various realms from Daemons. Of course, the more Yang Wenbao traveled through the multitude universes in the future, the more tempered his strength would be.

Until when? He really had no idea. He did not have a choice about it either. However at least, in this world, he found someone he wanted to care for and spend his lifetime with. After dying bitterly as Park Jeong Hyeon, and with the machinations  of his most beloved people, he thought he'd already somewhat numb to so-called romance.

When he arrived at the vicinity of the eastern border, it was already almost dark. The eastern border's real form was actually a tall wall, made of enforced stones and timber, extending as far as the eyes could see. Tang Zhiming had mentioned to him once; the wall continued on to the waters separating Great Wei and Bei Sui on the north, and stopping short at an immense mountain range towards the south.

Various sizable structures and tents dotted the line of the wall, clearly built for the soldiers stationed in the area. Some of them had been razed to the ground, presumably from the attacks from beyond the wall. From afar, Yang Wenbao could also see some Great Wei soldiers fixing various parts of the walls that had been breached. However at least, currently it was a picture of desolate tranquility.

Yang Wenbao did not make his appearance known either. He did not wish to see anyone else before he saw Zhou Yequan. With careful steps, he inched closer to the camps. He sighted Yang Liyuan and Wu Li at some point, causing a flood of relief to wash over him. At least, Yang Liyuan did not look worse for wear, although his countenance looked a bit exhausted.

A few tents looked more elaborate and guarded by more soldiers than the rest. Yang Liyuan deduced those probably belonged to the higher-ups in the soldiers. As darkness quickly set in, torches were lit to give some sort of illumination in a couple of meters radius around those torches. Outside the radius, it would be hard to see someone standing five meters ahead. However, Yang Liyuan's sense of sight and hearing was keen and he soon picked up a few information from the various soldiers and guards.

"Any progress with His Highness?" A soldier greeted another who had just emerged from a larger tent. Yang Wenbao smelled blood and saw it was from some bandages contained in a bucket the soldier had brought out with him.

Yang Wenbao's heart plummeted when he heard 'His Highness' and he almost burst into the tent.

The soldier with the bloody bucket replied, "There's a lot of blood from the latest attack and a few tendons seemed to have been severed. If His Highness were still young, he'd probably be able to endure Master Tang's medical attention better."

Only then Yang Wenbao's heart settled back in place. The hurt Prince inside the tent should not be Zhou Yequan. If his guess was correct, it was probably Prince Zhou Chanqing, Zhou Yequan's father. After all, the soldier's description did not fit Zhou Yequan. The Seventh Prince was still young. How much younger could he be?

The other soldier sighed, "Fortunately the Emperor is magnanimous and brought some of his private imperial guards with him. In addition to Marshal Yang's assistance and the Seventh Prince's archery squad, we were able to drive back those monsters. To have stood guard against those monsters for weeks on end would tire even the best of warriors like His Highness."

"We can only entrust him in Master Tang's hands. But what to do if the monsters come again... ."

"Useless chatters!" Yang Wenbao cursed inside his heart, "Why won't any of them say any clue as to where Zhou Yequan might be!"