PROLOGUE: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere; From Him

A/N: So this use to be the synopsis with the cover art. I decided to turn it into a short-ish prologue instead. Enjoy<3
Remember to vote, comment, and follow!

—————
PROLOGUE: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere; From Him

REBEKAH

The woman knows from living with the abusive man that there are no simple answers. Friends say: "He's mean." But she knows many ways in which he has been good to her. Friends say: "He treats you that way because he can get away with it. I would never let someone treat me that way." But she knows that the times when she puts her foot down the most firmly, he responds by becoming his angriest and most intimidating. When she stands up to him, he makes her pay for it—sooner or later. Friends say: "Leave him." But she knows it won't be that easy. He will promise to change. He'll get friends and relatives to feel sorry for him and pressure her to give him another chance. He'll get severely depressed, causing her to worry whether he'll be all right. And, depending on what style of abuser he is, she may know that he will become dangerous when she tries to leave him. She may even be concerned that he will try to take her children away from her, as some abusers do.

I let out a long sigh as I turn to the next page of the book I'm currently reading. Why Does He Do That?:Inside The Minds Of Angry And Controlling Men by Lundy Bancroft. This self-help book is a great foundation for women who are struggling from domestic abuse; this is my fourth time reading it in the last four years. He also has a handful of other's that I've read as well to help encourage women to speak up and move forward from their abusive relationship.

The first time I read it four years ago I was in complete denial and I thought the guy was full of shit. More like I was because every word in this book is the truth and I think I was mad at myself for being one of the women he was talking about. Even though he wasn't degrading them, I still felt it. I felt shame, hurt, hopeless, unworthy, so many emotions that just kept getting worse the longer it went on. It went on for a very long four and a half years.

When it finally came to an end; I had to lose the one thing in my life that gave me hope.

I decided right then and there; that it was enough. I had enough.

Enough of the lifestyle I was living; even though it was grand. I had anything and everything I could ever want in the world. Money, clothes, expensive jewelry, everything a woman in her twenties living in Los Angeles California would want. But those materialistic things; they don't bring you happiness. They don't give you the warmth of being loved. And above all else; they sure as hell don't help hide the mental and physical bruising that an abusive man will give you in his time of anger.

I had enough of the abuse that final night. I was tired of the physical and emotional pain I went through during and after every beating. I got tired of the multiple lies I'd have to come up with when someone would ask why I had a bruise on my arm, a black eye, a hand print around my neck. Scarves and turtlenecks had became a staple in my attire.

The night I decided to leave him, was the most horrific and most full-filling night of my life. I was finally free. I could finally start a new life for myself, become the woman I once was before I allowed him to turn my life upside down.

However, it didn't last long. It never does.

When he found me; I panicked because I knew he would be angry. He always was when he got in trouble because of me. Hell, it got to the point where it wasn't even my fault and I'd still get the blunt end of his fist.

I knew I couldn't go back to that life, I just couldn't. I couldn't stay in California anymore either. It was time to really move on and as far away as I possibly could.

I'd called up the only friend I had that knew the situation and thanked him for allowing me to stay in a small apartment that was in his name for the few months before I was found out. I told him I was leaving but I didn't tell him where. I was too paranoid that somehow, he; Satan himself, would find out.

Of course he probably knows where I'm going but what's the point in following me right? By the time he figures it out, I'll be long gone and under protection.

I made a last minute decision two nights ago in my temporary hotel room that I'd been staying in for a week, to buy a one way plane ticket. I'm going back home.

Dad was thrilled of course to finally hear from me after almost four years and when I told him I was coming home; I could hear the tears of joy in his voice. I'm sure he's probably wondering why, why after all this time—after no calls, emails, nothing—why is his baby girl finally coming home?

I'll explain everything to him eventually but for right now, I pray that he doesn't pry too much. Thankfully that's not my dad, he's not a prier. He's a go with the flow kind of guy and I love him for that.

I'm brought out of my thoughts as an announcement rings through the loudspeakers of Los Angeles International Airport.

"Flight 713 Los Angeles to Jamestown will now be boarding passengers at gate 77B. Please remember to have your ticket ready."

I quickly shove my book into my backpack and collect my ticket from the front pocket. As I approach gate 77B, I take a deep breath, preparing myself for what's to come.

After a long eight years, I'm finally going home and a thousand miles away from him; the devil.

"Enjoy your flight," the attendant beams at me as she hands me back my ticket stub so I can walk through the gate.

This is going to be a long four hours. Thank God I brought a book.

 Thank God I brought a book