XXXI. Inevitable Threat Approaching

A/N: The plot is about to thicken guys!
Remember to vote, comment, and follow

———
XXXI. Inevitable Threat Approaching

NATHAN

ONE WEEK LATER:

I'm sitting at my desk with my feet propped up on the table, talking with Earl about his grandson and his fishing trip, when I get an email on my laptop. Everyone's systems go off at the same time, telling us it's an important one.

I take my feet down as I open it up and my heart nearly stops when I see what it's about as Kevin McQuire, Bex's abusive ex-husband, shows up on my screen. It's an update on the BOLO that was put out on him over a month ago.

Apparently he's still on the run and according to witnesses he was recently spotted somewhere in Wyoming and was armed which means he's now considered highly dangerous. He's getting closer and my worst fear is slowly coming true.

He's looking for Bex.

My jaw locks up in anger and I'm so caught up in my thoughts that I don't realize that Bex has pulled up outside until she's almost at the door. I look around and notice everyone is looking at me with wary eyes. They've all read the same email by now and know.

"No one, and I mean no one says a thing about this to or in front of her. Is that clear?" I order with authority in my voice and they all nod. Like me, they don't want her getting upset or anxious.

Bex walks through the glass door and when she sees me sitting at my desk she smiles warmly at me. She looks absolutely beautiful today in a blue and white summer dress that compliments the blue in her eyes even more.

"Hey baby," I greet her with a smile as she walks up to me and immediately sits on my lap.

"Hey babe, I missed you so I wanted to come in and say hi before going to work," she smiles as she wraps her arms around my neck and softly kisses my lips.

"Aww, I missed you too. How are you feeling today? How's my baby?" I ask as I rub my hand softly over her lower belly.

"I'm doing good and so is the baby. I'm almost done with the first trimester so the morning sickness isn't so bad," she smiles as she tips my hat back while pressing her lips to me once more. I place my other hand on her ass and give it a gently squeeze.

Earl clears his throat and Bex giggles before separating her mouth from mine. I silently curse Earl because I wasn't done with her yet.

"Sorry guys, I just love this man so much I can't help myself," she blushes and runs her fingers around my neck to the nape of it, running them through my hair.

"They can get over it. I'm in charge here and if I want to kiss my fiancé, I'm going to kiss her," I order and look around the room. Theresa giggles and Earl shakes his head while a few of the younger deputies nod in understanding, scared to piss their boss off.

"Oh stop it you big bully," Bex laughs and playfully smacks my chest.

I chuckle as I grab her face to kiss it one last time before she gets off of me. I grab her hand and pull her back down on me. I'm nowhere near done with her but she giggles some more and shakes her head.

"I have to get to work Nate. Just come by later when you can and see me," she smiles at me while getting this look in her eyes.

"Maybe we can have some more fun in the women's bathroom again," she bites her lip and I feel an urge deep in my lower region.

"Okay," I nod with excitement and she laughs some more at the expense of my sudden desire to have her at this moment.

I stand up to follow her out the door and when we get to her car, I lean her back against the driver side door as I grab her face in my hands. I kiss her softly and slowly at first but then my hormones and desire for her take over as I get more aggressive with my kiss, making sure she knows how much I want her.

Bex wraps her arms around my waist and leans her body in against mine. All I want is to be in bed naked right now and feel her soft skin on mine. I want to feel her heart beat against me while feeling the warmth of her breath on my neck as I bury myself inside of her.

I groan in annoyance that she has to go and press my forehead against hers. I don't want her to leave. I'm so in love with her that being a part for more than an hour has me missing her like crazy. I don't know how I got through ten years of this.

"Oh Nate, you need to calm down. Don't want to go back into work with a hard on," she giggles and reaches down to grab my shaft through my Wranglers. I groan when I feel her hand on it and she laughs more.

"Well I can't help it. You're just so damn beautiful and you do things to me that make me want to take you home right now and make love to you," I confess and her eyes go bright with excitement.

"You do it to me too babe. I always want you and it's not just because I'm pregnant and my hormones are all over the place," she smiles warmly up at me as she slides her hands into my back pockets, squeezing my ass in the process. I chuckle and press my lips to hers one last time before she gets in the car to head towards Miller's.

As I watch her drive off, I get this overwhelming feeling of needing to protect her. It's always there anyways but now it's stronger than ever. He is close by and he may or may not come to Clinton Hills.

It may be today, tomorrow, a month from now; either way, I've got to be the best at what I am. Chief Sheriff, ex-solider, her protector, the best man that I can be to make sure he's caught before he does anything to her.

I can't lose Bex. I can't let that monster get to her again.

Right here and now, I know for a fact, I'll do anything I have to, to make sure he never touches her again.